Why didn't I know about _________ sooner?!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-11-2011, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or...The Things I Learned on MDC... orngbiggrin.gif

Okay, so I've learned a few things here on Mothering, tried them, and been totally amazed at awesome results. Here are just a few of mine: (a lot of mine are Natural Body Care things, but I know some mamas may have ideas that fit into the home category, too, so I will post this here.)

1. Epilators-- where have you been all my life, little gadget?

2. Good oils and Oil Cleansing Method-- Wow! I had no idea coconut oil was so awesome. What other product can you slather on your body (and your babe's body to heal things like that icky redness from when spit up lingers in those neck skin folds and diaper rash)...and also EAT. I now use are jojoba for moisturizing my face, and a jojoba/castor oil blend for washing my face.

3. Dr. Bronner's. It's so uncomplicated to have ONE massive jug of something that cleans nearly *everything*.

4. Menstrual cups. Absolutely Life. Changing. For. Me. Every woman who previously used tampons should try one. (My fave is the Femmecup. My back up is an inside-out Diva.)

5. The phrases "Do I really love it, use it, or get joy from it?" and "I still have the memory, even if I get rid of the object it represents."
Getting rid of things has taken weight off my shoulders that I didn't even know was there until I felt the lightness.

Anyone else have any more?

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#2 of 24 Old 09-12-2011, 11:41 AM

i love this! 

1) coconut oil, yes, me too.  i just made banana bread with it and it was just beautiful.

2) clean the bathroom while the kid is in the tub.  why i never figured that out before somebody on mdc mentioned this, i'll never know.  that or put the inserts in the pocket diapers while you sit on the bathroom floor.

3) the joy of woolies.  love love love, and the felted sweater quick sew pattern for shorties (and longies).

4) pumping while driving. i never would have braved this despite a 45 minute commute had other mdc mamas not enlightened me. 

5) the rubber band trick, speaking of pumping. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#3 of 24 Old 09-12-2011, 12:19 PM

1. To sleep when the baby sleeps. The absolute best advice I was given.

2. To cosleep and nurse on demand and hold baby as much as possible.

3. Dr. Bronner's. Love it!

4. Vinegar and Baking Soda.

5. Lunapads.

6. To clean in 15 minute spurts.

7. To use smaller kitchen trash bags and empty them daily.

8. To wash my face with honey.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#4 of 24 Old 09-15-2011, 08:12 AM

garlic for yeast infections

LIFE CHANGING for me.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#5 of 24 Old 09-15-2011, 11:24 AM

Do you eat the garlic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post

garlic for yeast infections

LIFE CHANGING for me.

#6 of 24 Old 09-15-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post

Do you eat the garlic?

I believe you *insert* it. That and plain yogurt are supposed to work very well.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#7 of 24 Old 09-15-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post

Do you eat the garlic?

you can sew a string or dental floss through a clove for easier removal when you do insert it...  it's funny, though, you'll taste it in your mouth too...

ASusan likes this.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#8 of 24 Old 09-15-2011, 03:33 PM

Wow! That is so cool!

#9 of 24 Old 09-16-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

you can sew a string or dental floss through a clove for easier removal when you do insert it...  it's funny, though, you'll taste it in your mouth too...

And smell like it... through your pores. It's amazing.

#10 of 24 Old 09-18-2011, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Can't vouch for the garlic, but the yogurt works well and doesn't make you smelly

#11 of 24 Old 09-18-2011, 11:30 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

The things I wish I would have know about are babywearing, genetically modified foods, whole foods based vitamin supplements, raw milk, and homebirth.  I didnt know about it when I was pregnant and when DD was little and REALLY wish I had!  I would have avoided a very disappointing and scarey birth experience, and a lot of pain afterwards had I not had all the interventions that the hospital forced on me.

I would have had a much easier life had I had a baby carrier and known that babies were supposed to be held all the time, especially skin to skin(although thankfully I did hold DD A LOT, though it would have been so much easier in a baby carrier!).

I think I would have had a much healthier pregnancy had I eaten more whole foods and avoided GMO foods which are SO BAD FOR US!  I also would have been much better off with a whole foods based prenatal.  This pregnancy I eat all whole organic foods, no GMOs, raw milk, and whole foods prenatals and I am SO much healthier and did not even have morning sickness(last time it was severe!)  Thankfully I found out about raw milk before I stopped BFing, so DD has always had raw milk to drink ever since she weaned.

Here is my fav video on GMO foods http://www.hulu.com/watch/67878/the-future-of-food 

Good idea for a thread!

#12 of 24 Old 09-19-2011, 08:12 AM

- Microfibre rags. Really, miracle rags. They can do everything from wiping up that spilled cup of milk to cleaning your windows and computer screens.

- Yoga in general, but Corpse Pose in particular since I don't always have the energy/time for a full routine. When I'm just feeling overwhelmed, or tense, or just need a break just laying down for five minutes, flat on my back, with the calming voice of my favourite yoga teacher/guru in my ears helping me relax into the corpse pose really helps. Once I get up again, I feel refreshed and centred.

#13 of 24 Old 09-19-2011, 02:36 PM

I forgot to add the dangers of vaccines, and the harms and wrongs of circumcision!  Wow, I really have learned a lot from MDC!  After I learn something here I look it up and research it elsewhere as well to get a better understanding of it, and I am so thankful that MDC has introduced me to so many of these things.

sosurreal09 likes this.
#14 of 24 Old 09-20-2011, 08:45 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Ha. Some of the things on this list fall into the "if I here one more person talk about the miracle of X I am going to explode."

But seriously, I have received excellent bf'ing advice and hopefully given good pumping advice. The later seems hard to come by. I switched to cloth diapers, more eco-friendly body and cleaning supplies, finally found an awesome deodorant (soapwalla), found a carrier I liked, received excellent car seat advice, and know more about country of origin and toy safety than is probably healthy.

More important, I am much more secure in my choices and know that I can find advice on almost everything here. The things that I don't want advice on aren't allowed anyway.

Oh, and I managed an unplanned, unassisted birth on my own without panic, primarily because I had so much good information in the back of my head.

#15 of 24 Old 09-21-2011, 06:50 AM

eyesroll.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

Ha. Some of the things on this list fall into the "if I here one more person talk about the miracle of X I am going to explode."

#16 of 24 Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

this is great!

1.  my awesome midwife.  There was a recommendation here.  At the time, she was the only single person in my large metropolitan area doing waterbirths at the hospital.  The practice has hired another midwife since, so now there are two.

2.  my ergo

3.  FlyLady

4.  books -- "Playful Parenting", "Raising your Spirited Child"

#17 of 24 Old 10-10-2011, 03:07 PM

1. That I even had an option NOT to circ.  (at the hospital I was told it was happening, not if I wanted it to happen)

2. That my homebirth would even be possible, and someone on here directed me to an amazing midwife.

3. Homemade laundry soap

4. That the whole attached parenting thing didn't make spoilt children. 

5. That it was even an option for dh to have a vasectomy reversal (and someone on here directed us to a dr who wouldn't charge us an arm and a leg to do it) 

6. That there really is a better way to eat than the SAD diet.

#18 of 24 Old 10-11-2011, 06:27 PM

chickens - it's not weird to have chickens in my backyard, or to eat them.

mama cloth - I'd used a Diva Cup for a while, but was still using disposable pantyliners.  Washable pads are soooo much more comfortable!

whole food prenatals - I had no idea that there even was such a thing.  I thought I had "natural" vitamins when I was pregnant with DS, because the brand was called Naturemade.  Yeah, not so much.

vinegar - softens clothes, removes hard water scum (when used in conjunction with REALLY hot water), and can condition hair

But most importantly, that there are other people out there who think the same way I do.  When I talk to most people IRL, I feel like they think I'm nuts, but I've found a wonderful, supportive community of people here who encourage and advise me on all the things/lifestyle choices that seem odd to "normal" folks.  So even though much of the knowledge I've acquired may not have been from the actual message boards, it's sparked an interest that has led me to do more research.

lifeguard likes this.

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#19 of 24 Old 10-17-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post

But most importantly, that there are other people out there who think the same way I do.  When I talk to most people IRL, I feel like they think I'm nuts, but I've found a wonderful, supportive community of people here who encourage and advise me on all the things/lifestyle choices that seem odd to "normal" folks.  So even though much of the knowledge I've acquired may not have been from the actual message boards, it's sparked an interest that has led me to do more research.

thumb.gif

#20 of 24 Old 10-18-2011, 09:55 PM

1. That cloth diapers could be more than prefolds & plastic pants
  2. My Diva Cup
  3. Dr. Bronner's Soap

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#21 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

green smoothies -- Who would've thought you could put spinich in a smoothie and it would taste great?

swede likes this.
#22 of 24 Old 10-24-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post

So true!  I swear that sometimes "internet moms" seem to be the only moms I find who are like-minded to me!

Wife to PJ. Mommy to Jacob, Summer, & Owen.
#23 of 24 Old 11-02-2011, 09:06 AM

nm

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#24 of 24 Old 11-08-2011, 11:02 PM

Bone broths and fermented veggies!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page