Old 09-11-2011, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just made the switch to homemade dishwasher soap.  I used this recipe:

Dishwasher Detergent ingredients:
1 box Borax
1 box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
24 packages of unsweetened lemonade drink mix, like kool-aid. 
(**Note: lemonade will stain soap dispenser yellow, another option would be to use citric acid instead of lemonade)
3 cups Epsom Salt
Lemi Shine rinse aid (this recipe does not work very well without it)

All of the ingredients are mixed together except the Lemi Shine, which i just toss in the bottom of my dishwasher.  I'm not quite sure what's in it, but I think it's mostly citric acid.  You're supposed to use 1 T of dishwasher soap and 1 T lemi shine.

Anyway, the glasses were coming out cloudy so I doubled the amount of Lemi Shine. Things are better, but not perfect. It doesn't seem to clean the greasy things as well (like traces of avocado or peanut butter on a spoon). 

Any suggestions on what to do? Does anyone else have hard water?

Btw, we also made the switch to homemade laundry soap and it is going FANTASTIC!  Dh's yellow underarm stains that I've tried everything for, came out in the first wash with the stuff! The only change I made to the recipe was to use Dr. Bronners unscented baby bar soaps.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 11:25 AM

Can you throw some white vinegar in as well?

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
Old 09-14-2011, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I've read that vinegar is a rinsing agent and I still have a little Jet Dry (the blue stuff) in there, so I wanted to use it up first. I actually caved and used the old Cascade today because I was tired of icky stuff still left on the dishes. 

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
Old 07-29-2013, 01:39 PM

I made dish soap before in a few different ways.  However, I kept running into problems.  Therefore, I almost thought I would never get to have homemade dish soap. Then one day I was really brainstorming about it and God said, "Why do you need to grate the soap and add anything?"  It was an Epiphany.  I took the natural coconut bar soap which is like a $1.??; put it in a dish, got my wet sponge,lathered it up and did some dishes. Wow!  They were squeaky clean and it did everything I needed it to do. 1. Not have ingredients in the soap that I can't pronounce and some article tells me it's dangerous to the health of humans 2. Wash dishes squeaky clean. 3. not cost an arm and a leg.  Now all I have left to perfect this experience is make my own coconut soap and I'm all homemade.  The soap I buy is Kirk's bar soap which is at walmart, and some grocery stores. However, it's not at every Walmart.  Although, I have found it at some grocery stores and other stores it's simply either going to the store and seeing if they have it, cold calling the store and asking if they have it, researching their website   ; where there is a will there is a way!  I had to share!

Old 07-29-2013, 04:19 PM

Okay this is strange apparently sometimes I feel this oily feeling on the dishes and my hands whenever I clean with "Kirk's castile soap," however at time I feel squeakiness.  Therefore, I'm going to experiment with different bars of soap.  I am still holding true to the simple bar of soap for dishes:)

User Tag List