What would you do if you rented a home and found moth balls? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: If you rented a home and then found old mothballs under the couch, you were pregnant and had a two y
Move out! Moth Ball toxicity sticks around in everything forever! 0 0%
Clean everything, air out, put out cups of coffee grounds and baking soda, run an ionizer, and keep living there. 7 100.00%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-21-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need to rent a place for the duration of my pregnancy for myself and my 2 year old son. I need to be close to my family right now while DP stays and works back home. We found the perfect little garden place, good price, great location, great yard. I thought I could smell a faint moth ball smell and finally found them under the couch in a plastic bag. The odor (the toxic fumes) are hard to get rid of. I am currently trying the coffee grounds, ionizer, baking soda, etc. But I don't know if the space will be safe after all of this, since my understanding is that the pesticides stay in furniture, rugs, etc. The woman we are renting from has apologized a million times. She had no idea they were poisonous. She said she'd put them there about a year ago. I need to make a decision quick and move back out of I need to. What would you do?!?

buddamomimg1.pngWriter/Designer/Hip Hippie Russian Mama to Torngtongue.gif (3yo) and Kboc.gif(4mo)

#2 of 2 Old 09-22-2011, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I'd give it a week and if the smell didn't fade, I'd move. I have heard that charcoal (not the stuff that doesn't require lighter fluid, just regular charcoal) is good at absorbing odors.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page