What do you use to de-ice and/or gain traction on your driveway in the winter? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-01-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just moved to a new house and the driveway is quite steep and winding and I know that it will be really icy so I'm trying to figure out now what the best thing to use for it is.I've heard of using rock salt to de-ice and sand for traction as well as this stuff you can get off of Amazon but I can't remember the name of it.

Anyone have any tips?

*Edited to add*

I forgot to mention that parking at the bottom of our driveway isn't an option because our neighbors detatched garage is down there which we would block if we ever parked there, so that's out.Our only other option would be to park down on the street which is quite a walk and also not very safe.

#2 of 4 Old 10-01-2011, 06:28 PM

We use ash from our wood boiler. Seems to work ok, and its better for the environment then salt.

Check out my new blog naturalfamilysteading.blogspot.com!
#3 of 4 Old 10-01-2011, 07:28 PM

What we started doing last winter was when snow was predicted, we'd park at the bottom of the driveway and line the cars up one behind the other, Then we'd just stay on top of shoveling a path around them and the base of the driveway. We wore snow boots and walked on snow and not the ice. We didn't get a ton of snow here, but it did work. That way, we could just ice a small path for the letter carrier to go between the cars when needed.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#4 of 4 Old 10-04-2011, 05:34 AM

We keep a bag of salt for spots that do become solid ice, but generally try to avoid it because of it being toxic to the environment and especially animals frequently crossing our driveway.

Personally, I rather like gravel. Because once the winter snow melts, it is a lot easier to deal with than sand. "Just" (it is heavy work) to take a broom and a shovel, and shovel as much of it as possible into your gravel container for next year. You will loose some...but not that much. Plus, it gives better traction for walking on than does just sand. Oh, and sand vs. gravel coming indoors...much better with gravel, since most of it scrapes right of with the snow.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page