Plug sockets sparking when any appliance is plugged in! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 5 Old 10-02-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
 
samy23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Help! I'm worried if this is a serious electrical problem and a safety issue in our home or not? Does anyone know about this? Sometimes when we plug an electrical appliance into the electrical outlet in the wall or extension cord, it makes a loud crackle noise and sparks bright blue-ish for a split second going in. What does this mean? It's an apartment block if that makes any difference here...?


Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

samy23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 5 Old 10-03-2011, 08:26 AM
 
JamieCatheryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SW Pa
Posts: 5,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Every outlet or just one? If it were just one, I'd say it's easy enough to get it replaced. If it's the whole building and it's rented there's not much you can do but move when you get the chance. Occasional sparks are normal, I get them when I plug in the vacuum sometimes, but noticable ones with loud sounds happening fairly often can mean faulty wiring and risk of electrical fires.

JamieCatheryn is online now  
#3 of 5 Old 10-04-2011, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
 
samy23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you! It had me seriously worried about electrical shocks, so it's good to know that isn't the risk. Anyway I'll inform the landlord, he should get someone out to check the block.


Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

samy23 is offline  
#4 of 5 Old 10-06-2011, 03:07 PM
 
insidevoice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Please call an electrician in to have them take a look.  It may be fairly benign, but it may well be faulty wiring and that is a HUGE risk. 

 

We lost our home to an electrical fire a few years ago- blessedly, it started about a half hour after we left the home. If it had started during the middle of the night, we would not have all gotten out.  Electrical fires spread SO fast... 

insidevoice is offline  
#5 of 5 Old 10-10-2011, 05:29 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If it isn't checked call someone yourself and pay.It is worth the peace of mind.

mattemma04 is offline  
Reply

User Tag List



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off