Help me get rid of Oxiclean - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-20-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
HRJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not happy that their 'free of perfumes, dyes, and chemicals' line is now very perfumey.  I love how well it cleans but I'm not convinced how green or safe it is.  What is a good stain fighter that's natural?  Our local green store has Zaines, Bac Out, and Charlie's Soap stain spray.  I cloth diaper, so I'm wary of the Zaines b/c it has essential oils, and I don't want the residue to effect my cloths. 

#2 of 7 Old 10-25-2011, 04:07 PM

I use a similar product called Oxy-Boost that contains only sodium percarbonate and soda ash.  It's a destainer and deodorizer.  I buy it online from www.ecogeeks.com.

I originally bought it to remove 50 year old stains from vintage tablecloths but, the light went on and I realized that it was great on my clothes.  I don't use it all the time, mainly on my whites, but I love it.  I couldn't find a list of ingredients on the Oxiclean site so I can't compare but I would bet there are a lot more than 2 ingredients in it.

hh2.gif  Help make a family's holiday a little brighter joy.gif

#3 of 7 Old 10-29-2011, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
HRJ

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

#4 of 7 Old 11-12-2011, 06:50 AM

Just wanted to let you know that I just found a homemade recipe online.  I haven't tried it yet but it might be another option and it it definitely cheaper.

http://moneysavingmom.com/2011/09/homemade-oxiclean-recipe.html

In case you can't see the link, here it it:

1 cup water
1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide
1/2 cup washing soda*

Mix all ingredients together and store in a dark spray bottle. (Hydrogen peroxide loses its effectiveness if stored in a light container. I have mine in a yogurt container for now, and plan to check the dollar store for a dark spray bottle in the next few days.)

To use: Spray on soiled laundry and let it sit overnight. Or, if you have a number of clothes that are soiled, you make up a batch of this and soak them in it overnight. Then, launder as usual.

hh2.gif  Help make a family's holiday a little brighter joy.gif

#5 of 7 Old 11-12-2011, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

An older lady taught me to just add regular hydrogen peroxide (the kind in the brown bottle that's 89 cents at the pharmacy) to my laundry to help with stains.  So I do that, and it works great!

#6 of 7 Old 11-15-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightwaderin View Post

I use a similar product called Oxy-Boost that contains only sodium percarbonate and soda ash.  It's a destainer and deodorizer.  I buy it online from www.ecogeeks.com.

I originally bought it to remove 50 year old stains from vintage tablecloths but, the light went on and I realized that it was great on my clothes.  I don't use it all the time, mainly on my whites, but I love it.  I couldn't find a list of ingredients on the Oxiclean site so I can't compare but I would bet there are a lot more than 2 ingredients in it.

I am also a bug fan of this product.  I have used it for several years.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#7 of 7 Old 11-15-2011, 10:18 PM

I second hydrogen peroxide.

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page