Need a recommendation for a collar cleaner... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2011, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My old man has just *now* decided that we need to do a better job of cleaning his collars for his work shirts (button downs and/or golf-type shirts).  The button downs are ok - I can't find a cleaner that really does a bang-up job, just so-so ones.  I've tried the oxyclean stick, spray and wash, dreft spray, etc, but nothing is fantastically doing the job.  He's now on this kick to do the golf shirts, too.  The problem is that they have never had any treatment and hundreds of washes.  I'm wondering if all their time in the dryer has just set in those oily hair stains?

Got any recs?

And I'm seriously ok with using real chemicals for these.  He needs to look great for work and I already use "hopes and dreams" (his words for my "save the planet" laundry soaps) to wash everything that doesn't seem to be working.

Thanks.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 09:36 AM

If they are old stains that have been heat set, you are going to have a rough time. DH has ruined more shirts with grimey, sunscreen sweat than anything else. The only luck I have had is with a long oxyclean soak immediately after it gets dirty. If you have nothing to lose since he may consider them ruined with the dirty collars, I would try a very long hot soak with oxyclean (the powder).

Old 10-24-2011, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried some original Dawn on them the other day and it got out *some* of the stains.  If he moans again I'll give Oxyclean a go.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012

User Tag List