home maintance 101??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we have totally failed in the 'home maintenance' category. I didn't know, for example, that we needed to have our furnace cleaned yearly, and it started smoking when we turned it on last week. I realized we just have no clue what things you're supposed to do yearly/semi-yearly/etc. beyond checking the smoke detectors!! Does anyone have a list they follow?

We have the same problem with cars... we know they need oil changes but that's it lol... I don't know why DH & I are so clueless on this, we're not dumb but it sure feels that way right now!!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 05:58 AM

Don't feel badly! This is stuff that nobody knows unless someone teaches them. smile.gif

If you google there are a ton of helpful lists out there... this was the first one I found and it seems really comprehensive, probably moreso than you need. smile.gif But at least it's a starting point!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Old 11-04-2011, 12:51 PM

Here's mine...

This summer (in the midst of weeks of 100* days) our A/C went out.  So I had the repair guy come out and the first thing he did was remove the filter.  It was horrible and we couldn't even see through it!  He had to tweak a few other things because the machine had to work so hard since it wasn't getting any actual air flow, BUT he did tell me to write a note on the calendar for the first of every month to *check* the air filter.  I only had to replace it if I couldn't see through it, but I HAD to check it.  Very expensive lesson learned.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Old 11-04-2011, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I have a love/hate relationship with Martha Stewart, but there are some seriously comprehensive guides (with printable lists/check sheets) over on that site - 

Cleaning

Homekeeping

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 11-04-2011, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

I have a love/hate relationship with Martha Stewart, but there are some seriously comprehensive guides (with printable lists/check sheets) over on that site - 

Cleaning

Homekeeping

I like those lists too. I don't do all the things on them...but they are still a helpful guide to get you started.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

This is great, thanks!! Maybe I can pick one or two lists to start with & compile it into my own list. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels a bit clueless on this...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 11-04-2011, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I'm with you - all the time my in laws are asking/telling us to do things around the house (and we only have an apartment, not an actual house) and my first reaction is nearly always "Crap, seriously? I had no idea you were supposed to do XYZ..." It's any wonder I manage to be a functioning adult, with an offspring, no less! :-) Hahaha, oh well. 

There are also all these trendy home keeping books - Home Economics, How to Sew a Button: And Other Nifty Things Your Grandmother Knew, The First Time Homeowner's Survival Guide, etc. I always look at these in the bookstore and think about buying one, but then I don't because I figure why pay money for something I already know? Except a lot of it I don't actually already know... so my logic is totally flawed. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

User Tag List