Mothering Forum banner

Homemade laundry detergent: powdered or liquid?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  LeahBoo 
#1 ·
I am nearing the end of my current bottle of store bought laundry detergent and I am going to finally make up a batch of homemade stuff. I've seen a lot of recipes out there, some for powdered and some for liquid. My question for those of you who make your own is do you have a preference? Are they equally effective? Is one form more cost effective than the other?

#6 ·
I prefer the powdered. It's easy to make (my 11 year old just made up our last batch), easier to store (not to mention prettier sitting on the shelf in the glass canister as opposed to a 5 gallon bucket on the floor LOL) and it dissolves just fine in the wash.

#8 ·
I just made up my first batch. I made powdered because I don't have enough room to store a 5 gallon bucket (really small apartment). I think after this batch, I am going to try a different soap, the Fels Naptha is awfully fragrant. I will probably go with something like an old fashioned lye/lard soap, since that's what people used before detergent.

Now I have to pass along a really cool tip. Don't grate the soap, microwave it (if you have a microwave). It expands a whole bunch and afterward, you can crumble it into the perfect fine powder.

#9 ·
Microwave it? Im trying that even if I don't make my own detergent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahBoo View Post

I just made up my first batch. I made powdered because I don't have enough room to store a 5 gallon bucket (really small apartment). I think after this batch, I am going to try a different soap, the Fels Naptha is awfully fragrant. I will probably go with something like an old fashioned lye/lard soap, since that's what people used before detergent.

Now I have to pass along a really cool tip. Don't grate the soap, microwave it (if you have a microwave). It expands a whole bunch and afterward, you can crumble it into the perfect fine powder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.