apparently i am bad at laundry. Can someone help me? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-26-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i can get stains out most times and my diapers come clean, but DH complains about how i shrink his pants. My ex fiancee complained of this as well. they never shrank until i started doing them. the thing is, i did the laundry the same way he did. 

i wash in cold and dry on the not hottest setting. i use tide free and clear detergent and snuggle fabric softener. my dryer has an auto setting that turns it off if they sense the clothes are dry before the timer runs out. 

DH always buys the same length pants (since before i met him). and they always shrink up 4 inches. but the waist doesnt shrink too much. my pants do the same thing but i just started buying longer pants a long time ago, like when i was 14. 

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Or do jeans just do this now?

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#2 of 11 Old 11-28-2011, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

i can get stains out most times and my diapers come clean, but DH complains about how i shrink his pants. My ex fiancee complained of this as well. they never shrank until i started doing them. the thing is, i did the laundry the same way he did. 

i wash in cold and dry on the not hottest setting. i use tide free and clear detergent and snuggle fabric softener. my dryer has an auto setting that turns it off if they sense the clothes are dry before the timer runs out. 

DH always buys the same length pants (since before i met him). and they always shrink up 4 inches. but the waist doesnt shrink too much. my pants do the same thing but i just started buying longer pants a long time ago, like when i was 14. 

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Or do jeans just do this now?

It's probably the dryer, even if you are using a low setting. The combination of heat (even low heat) and agitation will cause shrinkage. Try hanging them to dry. If you don't have a line or a rack, you can drape them over a hanger and use the shower rod. 

I wash cotton pants - jeans, khakis, etc. - in cold water and then hang to dry. 

I send wool pants to the drycleaners. 

I don't use fabric softener, but I don't think that would cause shrinkage. Aside from potential skin sensitivity problems, it will interfere with absorbency, so it's not useful for towels and diapers. 

#3 of 11 Old 11-28-2011, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Hang dry all his clothes.  IF he complains then hand him a scale.  Seriously.  DH tried to tell me I shrunk his favorite pants a few times... right.  His cheese cake addiction shrunk his pants.

#4 of 11 Old 11-28-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

i cant hang dry. my skin is sensitive to the roughness. DH and I would have rubbed raw skin. i guess he will just have to get used to buying longer pants. i did just wash and dry a load of pants and my brand new maternity pants didnt shrink in the legs. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#5 of 11 Old 12-04-2011, 07:43 AM

you can always hang dry his pants and then run them through the dryer on a low heat setting to soften them up a bit afterwards.

#6 of 11 Old 12-11-2011, 09:19 PM

What's the material of the pants? I wash all my jeans on cold or warm then stick them in the dryer and they never ever shrink.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#7 of 11 Old 12-13-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post

What's the material of the pants? I wash all my jeans on cold or warm then stick them in the dryer and they never ever shrink.

they are all regular blue jeans.

#8 of 11 Old 12-16-2011, 08:31 AM

I always wash with cold water and dry on low and never have pants shrinking.

I would try hanging them to dry and just put them in the dryer for a few minutes to soften.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#9 of 11 Old 12-16-2011, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'd tell him to do his on laundry. But that's me.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#10 of 11 Old 12-16-2011, 08:42 AM

You can also try "snapping" them to get them a little softer after line drying (if you don't want to make a seperate dryer trip)... you know, like guys do in the locker room with towels.  Snapping them a few times softens them pretty dramatically... if they're still really rough, it might be from detergent that isn't getting rinsed out and you can try using less detergent.

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#11 of 11 Old 01-02-2012, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hang them to dry.  Some brands of clothing are just very prone to shrinkage though, so don't feel too bad about the length problem.  He can always buy longer pants next time.

DD 2/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page