We have fleas too! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well...never thought I would be using the search feature for the word "fleas"...here I am...

We moved into a rental 3 weeks ago & over the past week have started getting attacked by fleas.  We have 2 indoor only cats who have never been outside a day in their lives.  The people who lived here before had a dog who left so many stains on the carpet you would think that's where they let him go to the bathroom, wrecked the place, stole the washing machine, broke the oven & apparently left us with fleas.  

I am doing the traps with the water/dawn & light, have begun the washing of everything that can be washed in hot water in the washer, am calling tomorrow to have the carpet ripped up & replaced in the small area with carpet (we were planning on doing that anyway) and will try salt/borax and perpetual vacuuming/sweeping.  DH & I are having the debate now on whether we will have the vet shampoo the cats or we will attempt that ourselves.  

I am assuming I should time the carpet removal/replacement with the shampooing of the cats to help maximize our destruction of these little jerks?  

Here are my questions so far:

1) Can normal filled pillows go in the wash?  I believe many of ours have the zip on protective covers.  We also have the expensive temper-pedic type ones?  Do I have to trash them?  

2) Do stuffed animals need to be dealt with?  Best approach?  

Any other words of wisdom?

I am so freaking annoyed...and itchy.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#2 of 3 Old 01-18-2012, 02:07 PM

We had a slight flea issue this winter, best thing that resolved it was daily flea combing on both cat and dog and daily vacuuming/sweeping. You are going to give it time since the fleas are already in the environment and even if you kill off all the ones biting you there will be more hatching out later, so continual treatment is key.

Fleas don't actually live on the host like other pests do so if you do treat the cats with insecticide it will need to be repeated. I tried regular flea combs and didn't find them to as effective as the metal head lice combs. When I first started brushing my cat I would find 15+ fleas on her and now we get one occasionally.

good luck

#3 of 3 Old 01-18-2012, 06:12 PM

Good luck shampooing a cat!

I found that twice daily combing really works the best, plus the cats love that. I would get rid of the old carpet, clean up and comb the cats. It should really take care of it.

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page