chlorine in drinking water? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-02-2011, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have lived in a rural area with a private well for my entire life... and just recently moved into a suburban neighborhood with a community well.... talk about change in culture!  Aside from all the other differences I have noticed how much I dislike the tap water here.... when I fill a fresh cup from the tap it smells very strongly of chlorine... if I let it sit for a minute before drinking the smell goes away and I can drink without the nasty taste...

I called to ask what all goes into the water, and they told me it is treated with chlorine... I just don't know how much, but I hate how badly the water stinks!  When the boys take a bath the bathroom stinks so much like chlorine, it smells like we're at the public pool!

What i'd like to know from you all is the details about chlorine....  do I need to look into a filter for my home?  Or bottled drinking water?  Or is it somewhat harmless??

Thanks in advance!

#2 of 7 Old 12-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Banned

A filter won't remove chlorine.  Keeping a pitcher or a re-usable water bottle in the fridge will help alleviate the problem with the taste of your drinking water.  

#3 of 7 Old 12-02-2011, 05:04 PM

Hmm. I have city water and it is chlorinated. I have lived with both well and city water multiple times, and I have never, ever noticed a chlorine smell or taste. I know there are different chlorine compounds and some smell more strongly than others, but if my water smelled that strongly I would get a home water test or something to make sure the chlorine level isn't too high. Just to be safe.

Just to be clear, though- chlorine is really a fairly safe preservative, and I wouldn't be concerned about drinking chlorinated water. Anyway, don't some people think that chlorine is like a cure all for everything- AIDS, malaria, etc??lol.gifI think they call it the magic mineral supplement or something. lol.gif

swede likes this.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#4 of 7 Old 12-03-2011, 10:41 AM

I wouldn't be too concerned about chlorine in drinking water.  Keeping a pitcher in the fridge allows it to dissipate since it's fairly volatile.

We have chlorine in our water and I rarely notice it, but I really notice it when I'm visiting my parents.  Either they use a slightly different chlorine there or they use more of it.  Either way, I prefer to use a brita filter when I'm visiting them.

#5 of 7 Old 12-03-2011, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I have some filters for the water in the house we are living in. There is no chlorine here but there is hard water and I like to filter out some of the things in the water-- also I came from a place where our water was excellent so it is a change for me- but not as much as you with the chlorine.  But my filters all say that they filter out chlorine- I would absolutely get one! We have a filter for the kitchen sink, one for the shower, and one for the bath. I got one at a local health food co op, and the other 2 on amazon. I cannot remember the names of the brands right now- sorry! But I think they were the best rated ones on amazon. I think it could make a big difference.  They say right on the packaging that they do filter out chlorine.

#6 of 7 Old 12-05-2011, 08:42 AM

Where I live now, the chlorine really noticeable, but I did live someplace many years ago where the chlorine was strong like you've described and I hated it! We used to keep a Brita pitcher in the fridge with water. I don't know whether the filter helped, or whether it was mostly just letting the water sit, but it improved the smell and the taste a lot.

#7 of 7 Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 AM

OP - I understand what you mean.  I also grew up on well water and I moved to "town" 20 years ago.  To this day, I still can't get used to the chlorine smell and tasty.  Some community water systems use more chlorine than others.  The town where I live is horrible yet I have no problem drinking the city water in the next town over.

I think it takes 24 hours for chlorine to fully disappear from water.  I know a lot of people that put their tap water in a pitcher and drink from there as opposed to straight from the sink or water dispenser.   We have a water cooler because we drink so much water, my fridge would be full of pitchers.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page