Roaches... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-19-2011, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dh and our dd's spent the weekend visiting my in-laws who apparently have a roach infestation.  As he was packing up, dh saw a roach run out of the luggage and another one on the handle of the bag.  I've been lucky enough to never have to deal with them until this point, and I need to know how to not have them infest our home too.  They took three bags, mostly of clothes but also some books and toys for the girls.  I was thinking that I would bring up (we're in an apt) the clothes in trash bags and throw them straight into the wash, but what about the toys and the luggage?  Should I consider trashing them, since it would be impossible to wash them? 

#2 of 6 Old 12-19-2011, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Take them outside and shake it all out.  I know sounds gross.  Our neighbors have an infestation and they have been trying for years to get rid of it.  It's in their attic.  So I have to spray the side of my house once a month otherwise I'll get them.  Once they're in they're hard to get rid of. Also instead of taking the stuff into your house go to a laundrymat.  

#3 of 6 Old 12-22-2011, 07:37 PM

The nice thing about roaches is that they are easy to spot. The eggs they lay look like a pod about the size of a sun flower seed - it drops off thier abdomen when the roaches are ready to hatch. It would be pretty easy to inspect the books - I would take them outside and shake them out and check the spine. The toys might be trickier if there are crevices for them to hide. Roaches really hate light and will run for the shadows when exposed. You can freeze roaches to death - freeze for at least twelve hours.

#4 of 6 Old 12-22-2011, 08:05 PM

For toys, stick them in the bath (so long as they are plastic or won't be ruined), the water will get the roaches out, and you can run them down the drain of the bathtub.

for the clothes, hit the laundromat and do your laundry there.

#5 of 6 Old 01-30-2012, 01:55 AM

My sister had roaches really bad.   They would crawl out of the cupboards and all over the walls.  She would bring her clothes to my mom's house to be cleaned and we would put the clothing outside and only take it in to be put directly into the washer.  Roach eggs are hard to see so we just wanted to be safe.  She lives in a house my parents bought her and they wanted to get rid of the roaches quite badly.  So, they did some research and found this great roach killer.  My parents gave it to her and the roaches are dying off pretty rapidly.  The thing they like was that she could do it herself and it only took one time to do it.  Sadly, she also has bed bugs and sprayed over the roach bait and that makes it ineffective so now my parents had to buy her a second bottle.  Personally, I just think her friends wanted some too.

Anyway, it reminds me of my friend who went to help out an old lady.  The old lady brought her paper bag with her (a favorite of roaches) and while driving in their van the roaches came out of the bag and started crawling all over her.  The old lady was oblivious to the whole thing and my friend had to resist screaming while driving down the road with roaches all over her.  My friend's house became infested with roaches from this incident. 

Anyway, hope this helps.  If you need to know how to get rid of cockroaches, you might want to follow the link above.  I know there are lots of ways, but this one worked for us. 

#6 of 6 Old 01-30-2012, 05:04 AM

My dd sang a song the other day- I am pretty like a lady bug not like an ugly cockroach....

Roaches suck... looks like you got some good advice. I lived in a house once where they were already infested- we moved.  So far I have not found any here in new house- it's been over a year- tho I did have to get rid of my microwave- they were in it...

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page