If a tummy bug invades your house.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-26-2011, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

what do you use to disinfect your house afterwards? Baking soda? Borax? I usually use watered down vinegar/tea tree oil to wipe things down, I just want to make sure things are EXTRA clean now. I guess tea tree would still be a good idea, being that it is anti-viral.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#2 of 6 Old 12-27-2011, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our household got hit with Norwalk virus twice.  The first time I tried to disinfect naturally and it didn't go over well.  My kids were reinfected over and over to the point that my then 5 year old dd missed a month of school and lost a ton of weight from the neverending vomiting.  The second time I sucked it up and Lysoled the entire house (including spraying down doorknobs, light switches, toilets, remotes, etc. a couple times a day) and we escaped with just one round of illness and never got reinfected.  With really nasty tummy bugs I think it's worth it to pull out the big guns.  Under normal circumstances I clean with natural ingredients (dr. bronner's soap, baking soda and vinegar) so I don't feel too guilty about pulling out the Lysol once a year.  It's far worse to have vomiting/diarrhea for extended periods of time than to be exposed to a commercial disinfectant for a short period IMO.

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#3 of 6 Old 12-28-2011, 06:38 AM

I'm with jilly on this one. Usually I'm all about the natural and don't even keep chemicals in the house, but every once in a while I think "the big guns" have their place.

I hate to make the comparison, but like they always say, natural birth is always the ideal but sometimes a section is necessary, and how awesome that medical knowledge makes it so that mom and baby can most often survive it. But you don't want to rely on it too much. Conventional medication has its place as well for certain illnesses, and so do modern cleaning products and antiseptics... SOMETIMES. Not every day and for every reason... But certainly sometimes.

coolshine.gif
#4 of 6 Old 12-28-2011, 07:08 AM

In the past, I would have lysoled. But I recently read about a study where vinegar and hydrogen peroxide were used and found to be as or more effective than lysol. This is all I use now. We got a stomach bug a few weeks ago and it hasn't returned. I'll link the article I read, but I want to mention for those who don't click that you have to keep the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide separate. I have separate spray bottles and just spray one then the other onto the surface and let it sit a bit. If you combine them, they aren't any more effective than just using vinegar or h peroxide alone, but if sprayed separately they are 10x more effective.

"Combine that vinegar with 3% hydrogen peroxide for more effectiveness.  You will need to put each one in a separate spray bottle and hydrogen peroxide needs to be in a dark opaque bottle so as not to let light into it. I have found bottles like this at the dollar store. Spray the surface with first one than the other.  In tests run at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, pairing the two mists killed virtually all Salmonella, Shigella, and E. coli bacteria on heavily contaminated food and surfaces when used in this fashion, making this spray combination more effective at killing these potentially lethal bacteria than chlorine bleach or any commercially available kitchen cleaner.
The best results came from using one mist right after the other—it's 10 times more effective than using either spray by itself and more effective than mixing the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in one sprayer. As an added bonus aside from the health benefits, using this type of natural homemade cleanser is much less expensive than commercial varieties."-GranolaCatholic

http://granolacatholic.blogspot.com/2011/08/triclosan-or-are-antibacterial-soaps.html

#5 of 6 Old 01-04-2012, 07:12 PM

Lysol spray.TTO or GSE in water mix.

#6 of 6 Old 01-04-2012, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyBecky View Post

In the past, I would have lysoled. But I recently read about a study where vinegar and hydrogen peroxide were used and found to be as or more effective than lysol. This is all I use now. We got a stomach bug a few weeks ago and it hasn't returned. I'll link the article I read, but I want to mention for those who don't click that you have to keep the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide separate. I have separate spray bottles and just spray one then the other onto the surface and let it sit a bit. If you combine them, they aren't any more effective than just using vinegar or h peroxide alone, but if sprayed separately they are 10x more effective.

"Combine that vinegar with 3% hydrogen peroxide for more effectiveness.  You will need to put each one in a separate spray bottle and hydrogen peroxide needs to be in a dark opaque bottle so as not to let light into it. I have found bottles like this at the dollar store. Spray the surface with first one than the other.  In tests run at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, pairing the two mists killed virtually all Salmonella, Shigella, and E. coli bacteria on heavily contaminated food and surfaces when used in this fashion, making this spray combination more effective at killing these potentially lethal bacteria than chlorine bleach or any commercially available kitchen cleaner.
The best results came from using one mist right after the other—it's 10 times more effective than using either spray by itself and more effective than mixing the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in one sprayer. As an added bonus aside from the health benefits, using this type of natural homemade cleanser is much less expensive than commercial varieties."-GranolaCatholic

http://granolacatholic.blogspot.com/2011/08/triclosan-or-are-antibacterial-soaps.html

I love this, thank you for that information and for taking the time to link to that blog. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawitch View Post

I'm with jilly on this one. Usually I'm all about the natural and don't even keep chemicals in the house, but every once in a while I think "the big guns" have their place.
I hate to make the comparison, but like they always say, natural birth is always the ideal but sometimes a section is necessary, and how awesome that medical knowledge makes it so that mom and baby can most often survive it. But you don't want to rely on it too much. Conventional medication has its place as well for certain illnesses, and so do modern cleaning products and antiseptics... SOMETIMES. Not every day and for every reason... But certainly sometimes.

I like that comparison, and I can see what you mean. Thankfully, we are in the clear, no vomiting since Christmas Day and I didn't even lysol anything. smile.gif

Thanks for the input too. I forgot about GSE, that's another good one.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page