Wood Floors - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I've been looking for an inexpensive way to fix the problem we have with our wood floor. What has happend is, the wood has dried out and there are now huge cracks between the floor boards...up to half an inch in some places.How can this be fixed without having to redo the whole floor??  This is in my kitchen, dining, living, master bedroom and hallway. I'm looking for something that will not crack...someone suggested mixing flood filler with sheetrock putty, filling in the cracks, letting it dry and then resanding and staining.... Any other ideas? Or has anyone  tried anything like that, and has it worked?? Thank you so much!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

How old are your floors and did you get a warranty if they're newer? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colberding View Post

Hi,

I've been looking for an inexpensive way to fix the problem we have with our wood floor. What has happend is, the wood has dried out and there are now huge cracks between the floor boards...up to half an inch in some places.How can this be fixed without having to redo the whole floor??  This is in my kitchen, dining, living, master bedroom and hallway. I'm looking for something that will not crack...someone suggested mixing flood filler with sheetrock putty, filling in the cracks, letting it dry and then resanding and staining.... Any other ideas? Or has anyone  tried anything like that, and has it worked?? Thank you so much!!!

Old 01-06-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

No, there is no warranty. We built our home ourselves...did everything on our own. We actually bought the pine wood planks from a saw mill. We were told that they should be dry enough not to shrink much....but they were very wrong!! We put them in 7 years ago, and after two years the cracks were there.  We covered it with laminate, and have just in the last month taken up the laminate hoping to refinish our floors, and the cracks are of course even larger than before!!

Old 01-06-2012, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Oh geez.  Well you could bring them up one room at a time and refit.  They won't crack again.  That sucks I'm sorry. 

Old 01-06-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. We've actually thought of doing that as well....may be the only way to go. Not sure how the flood fill and the putty will work. :(  Thanks for responding!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:01 PM

Are you talking about the subfloor or the finished hardwood? 

I know my uncle just dealt with something similar in his house - they pulled up the carpet and discovered gaps between the planks of the subfloor (allowing moisture and smells to move into the house from the crawlspace).  I know he filled in the gaps with something before they laid new hardwood over it, not sure a crack of half an inch would be a wise thing to just fill though.  For the narrower cracks, I'd just fill it, after doing some research on what to use.  But for the wider cracks, I might try to rip a piece of flooring down to wedge in there, nail and glue it in place, then fill before moving on.  If you're not planning on using it as the finished floor, no need to sand and stain.  Sand any irregularities before covering it again, but no need to finish it.

Before doing anything though, I'd talk to some flooring experts - maybe call out a few flooring contractors, and get "quotes".  I do this all the time to get some idea of exactly what needs to be done.  You're liable to get half a dozen different opinions from half a dozen different experts.  Take notes and ask questions while they're there of how they would deal with this, what products they would use, how long it would take, how stable it'll be, what they would do if this were their own house, etc.  It shouldn't cost you anything to get opinions.  Some people would balk at this kind of thing, since you're not actually intending on hiring someone to do the work, but this is one way I screen contractors... if they only suggest the most costly way of fixing it, or talk down to me (because I'm female), blow smoke up my skirt, or any number of other things that can raise red flags, then I don't keep their business card.  If I like what they had to say, how they interacted with me, etc., then I keep their card and make a note on it that when I do need work done, that's who to call.  Because even when I am hiring, I'll get quotes from half a dozen contractors, and at best hire only one (sometimes I decide not to do the job after all). 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Tags
Mindful Home
User Tag List