Homemade laundry detergent flop? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-13-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think I'm having trouble with my homemade laundry detergent.  I've been using this recipe for close to two months but I broke out in an itchy rash just after I made up my last batch.  The rash is small red dots that are hardly noticable and just annoyingly itchy not super bad, mostly on my arms, legs, and ankles (where my sock elastic is tight).  I've had this for almost 2 weeks hoping it would just go away but it's not.  This morning I rewashed some of my clothes in Tide liquid which is what I use for cloth diapers and it is all I have besides the homemade one.  I can't tell that it is making any difference but I will give it a couple days.  I don't have sensitive skin and no one else has been bothered by it.  The recipe I was using was an all powder one: 1 part Washing Soda, 1 part Sun Oxygen Cleaner, 1/2 part Borax and 1/2 part Calgon Water softener.  I use 2 Tbsp. in a regular load.  The second time I made this the only difference was that I took the Sun Oxygen from a large size bucket instead of just using the whole 30 oz container.  I thought they were exactly the same.  Unfortunately, I have made lots of changes in the past couple of months so it may not be the detergent.  Can you have a delayed reaction to a change in soap or would it bother the skin right away?  Due to our hard water could this homemade detergent not be rinsing out good enough?  The only other times I had this type of reaction was from a lotion that I must have been allergic to and from a medication also allergic.  Does my recipe sound too harsh?  I hate to give it up; I was happy with how it cleaned the clothes although it definitely didn't work for cloth diapers.  What way could I try changing it, maybe use baking soda for one of the ingredients?  Any others suggestions?  I'm also open to ideas for natural and affordable options.

Thanks for any help! 

#2 of 2 Old 01-15-2012, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I use homemade detergent for everything, diapers included, but none of us have any allergies or skin issues.  My recipe is 2 cups borax, 1 1/2 cup washing soda, 1/2 bar shredded fels naptha per batch.  I add oxy clean for diapers or really dirty things.  Sometimes I will put vinegar in for the final rinse.  Depending on soil level, I do one or two tbsp.  Have you tried an extra risnse cycle?  I know some folks have reactions to borax (I make homemade detergent with my clients, and have a few who have been unable to use it due to a similar rash)

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page