Shower leaking behind wall - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Anyone ever dealt with this?  I thought I fixed the leak from the outside but now I'm noticing it's leaking all along the wall in the other room.  Holy expensive I feel sick over this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is it leaking along the bottom of the wall or higher up?  We had a shower leak along the bottom of the wall in the next room and it turned out the bottom of the shower wasn't sealed correctly, which turns out to be a fairly common problem.  The builder had installed cultured marble without any type of shower pan.  We had someone come in to remove the cultured marble, replace all the drywall around the shower (it was soaked), set a new shower pan, and tile the whole thing.  No plumbing was involved.  I can't remember how much it cost specifically as I also had them paint the whole bathroom, tile the floor, and install new lighting (which meant they had to patch the ceiling).  It was in the neighborhood of $5000 for all the work they did.  I would bet it would be about $2000 for just the shower.  You could probably do the demo and some of the other work yourself to save money, but I would definitely have a professional set the pan!

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We had this happen twice. 

The first was an issue similar to the pp but ours was a that the drain pipe wasn't properly connected to the drain in the bottom of the shower.

The second was a hole in a copper fitting, when ever the shower was turned on, a small stream of water shot out, soaking the wall, running down the wall, soaking the drywal and eventually leaking through the ceiling into the room below. 

Is there an access panel on the other side of the shower that you can pull off?  If so, take that off and turn the water on.  If your leak is coming from the supply line, you will see it.  You may also be able to reach under the shower pan to check the drain area.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 01-16-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

The wall behind the shower is shared with a bedroom wall.  And it's coming out from under the wall.  I'm going to call someone in on this since I don't know what I'm doing.  I'll watch the guy/girl and see what I can learn.  I use a plumber team, it's a guy and girl duo and the girl is usually better than the guy with explaining things.  

I do think I"ll have to tear down parts of the dry wall anyway.  Funny thing I noticed there were two vents on the wall and I took them down.  Nothing but dry way.  I wonder if the previous owner put them there to cover shoddy work.  Looks like the drywall was replaced there.  I'm making an angry face right now.  

User Tag List