Stinky, Stinky Bathroom Floor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-16-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The floor in my bathroom stinks. It doesn't even stink all the time, only when I mop. Every time I mop there is a horrible stale urine and rust smell. I usually wind up airing the room out for 2-3 days before breaking down and spraying chemical-laden air freshener to cover the smell. We have tile floors, and the grout is horrendous, so it could be the grout holding onto urine. There is a spot by the tub that looks like rust and I think there might be a leak or something underneath and the rust is seeping out. It doesn't seem to matter how much i mop, every time the overpowering smell is there. What can I do?

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

#2 of 5 Old 01-16-2012, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've never known tile to hold a smell that way. Are you sure there's no mildew issues in the walls?
#3 of 5 Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

There are mildew issues on the caulking in the tub. The shower curtain mildews very quickly as well. The bathroom tends to be damp even though there is a window. I share the bathroom with two of my brothers so it gets a lot of use and they don't open the window after they are finished showering. There is one part of the tub caulking right on the floor that looks like rust, but could it actually be mildew? If so, what can I do about it? What confuses me is that the smell only appears (unless it is just getting that much worse) when I mop.  I'm in my parent's house right now and plan to move out next year. They have no plans to make any renovations until after I move out, though they know the entire bathroom needs to be stripped and redone.

#4 of 5 Old 01-16-2012, 09:29 PM

Have you tried using vinegar? Like really soaking the area with vinegar and then washing off? It works a lot better breaking down the urine smell. With an old bathroom and a couple of guys who probably miss, it is a continual battle.

#5 of 5 Old 01-17-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

I mop with vinegar diluted in water, but I will try soaking the floor with it and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page