Llyra & other users of White Lotus all cotton futons: is there a dust mite problem with them? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-18-2012, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all,

I am almost ready to buy the White Lotus all cotton twin futon for my young son. However some posts here mention about dust mite problem. Is that true?

Would a cotton + wool Dreamton help? I really want the all organic cotton futon which is closest to what I slept on growing up. The only reason I am leaning towards cotton + wool futon is that the White Lotus website claims the wool is a natural dust mite repellent as well as flame retardant. 

Ideally I would like the cotton futon encased in a dust mite cover and then topped with a wool mattress topper. I am ready to get a doctor's note too.

However I need to know is it really prone to catching the dust mites? What should I do to avoid them?

Please respond asap, I have to buy this today to avail of their discount!

Thanks a tonne!

DM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

bump.gif    Someone? Anyone?

Old 01-18-2012, 11:51 AM

We have three of these futons. Not the organic ones, but one cotton/wool and two just cotton. They  have held up fairly well. There is a little bit of mildew on one of them, but we solved that problem by not putting them directly on the floor (bought platform beds with slats instead). 

My kids are not experiencing allergy symptoms, so I can't say whether the futons have attracted a lot of dust mites or not. However, I do feel that they are increasing the amount of dust in our house. Again, no one is allergic, but we seem to have more dust than any of my friends do in their houses.

I am going to buy an organic cotton dust mite cover for one of the futons and see if that helps cut down on the dust. This might work for you as well. 

Although I am not thrilled with these futons, I would buy them again. There are not any better options available, unfortunately.

Make sure you request to have it made without boric acid. You'll need a doctors note.

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Taubel.

Do you think the cotton/wool futons create lesser dust than the cotton ones or all the same?

Also, they claim that they do not treat their wool. However the wool pillow I ordered from them smelled like Doctor's office for nearly a month, on one side. The other side smelled like barnyard, I think that must be the lanolin. I still have no clue of why one side smelled like Doctor's office - heavy chemical smell. We couldn't go near it for a month!

After it aired off that smell, it was the most comfortable pillow I ever slept on. But that experience makes me wonder if I should buy any more wool from them!

Also are the cotton futons firmer than the wool/cotton futons? Are they comfortable for the whole night? Which of the 2 would you recommend for a 3 year old?

Did you have to buy the mattress protectors from their site? It costs a whopping 200 bucks!

Thanks again,

DM.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:06 PM

It seems the all cotton ones are more comfortable (to me anyway) but the wool/cotton one is older, so maybe it wasn't made as well.

We bought wool puddle pads, but not from White Lotus. The puddle pads just cover the futon like a blanket. They don't wrap around, zip closed, etc.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you to all who helped me with the decision, especially Llyra and Taubel!

I finally ordered the all cotton futon from White Lotus today. My child will finally get to sleep on a healthy mattress, although he has to wait for 6 more weeks for the delivery!

Happy happy happy!

User Tag List