Users of organic cotton mattresses - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wondering those who can afford to buy an organic cotton mattress/futon, do you also buy organic cotton clothes for your kids and yourself? I am getting all excited about the organic cotton futons but just wondering does it really matter if I am still buying non-organic Target brand clothes for my kid???? I might as well get the regular cotton one and get it half cheap! Sorry if this sounds silly, just a lingering thought!

#2 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 09:03 AM

We sleep on an organic futon.  I try to buy organic cotton clothes for our family... mainly the undergarments and basic clothing such as long underwear, t shirts, some pants.  I opt to buy second hand clothing that has been washed and worn a bit.  Staying away from the second hand that smells like it has been washed in main stream detergents. 

'09   
#3 of 5 Old 01-21-2012, 09:25 PM

I feel like sleeping on an organic mattress is very important to your families health, as you breathe in the toxins. Using organic clothing, sheets ect is healthier as they do contain some chemical residue, but even more so for the planet in not dumping pesticides ect. Choosing to buy from a conscious, fair trade company is a choice you can make to create a better world. Discount stores do not always provide a truly clean product (no chemicals added in processing) or act responsibly in manufacturing. But if they are truly buying organically grown cotton it is a step in the right direction. Which of these you can afford to do, or you care about is a personal choice.

We buy most of our clothing and household goods used at thrift stores, yard sales and e-bay. That way we can spend the savings on organic things like underwear, mattresses and sheets. We try and buy from conscious small companies whenever possible.

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#4 of 5 Old 01-24-2012, 11:23 AM

we have organic cotton mattresses.  I buy organic cotton undies from H&M for all of us, as well as organic cotton blend shirts for all of us from there, too.  I cannot afford the small organic company prices or regular clothes, so I do the best i can with largers retailers.  I really like H&M and try to buy from there whenever possible.  I also get the kids undies from hanna andersson.  They are more expensive but they last FOREVER!

#5 of 5 Old 02-01-2012, 01:00 PM

DH and I sleep on an organic wool bed with organic sheets.  Some of the sheet I have for the kids are organic and some are not. My kids sleep on an ancient mattress I would love to get rid off, but they both.   Anyway for me it was as much about not having a bed drenched in flame retardents and being locally produced and less about the organic content of the materials  While all of use own organic clothing it would be far from exclusively.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page