Anyone want to suggest how to clean... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-23-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

...a whole jar of spilled honey that ran all the way across two shelves, covered tons of spices and jars and whatever else was in its path, then decided to drip down the back of the cabinets, down the wall and onto my counters? 

duh.gif

I am currently just ignoring the mess. 

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#2 of 15 Old 01-23-2012, 02:03 PM

Crappy! 

I would try to scrape as much of it up as I could with a trowel type thing or metal flipper.  Then I'd put on gloves and use the hotest water I could handle with a bit of soap to take care of the rest.  The jars you can just put right into hot water to melt the honey off.  Crappy! 

Good luck!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#3 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

As above poster said, hot water is key. It will melt the honey so you can just wipe it off. Then, use hot soapy water to remove the stickiness and finish by using dry towels to absorb any excess moisture. If things are still a bit sticky after that treatment, repeat until the stickiness is gone.

#4 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 02:59 AM

I wonder if a magic eraser would help with this- I use them for everything.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#5 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom31 View Post

I wonder if a magic eraser would help with this- I use them for everything.

I'm pretty sure it would for the final bit of cleaning (after the worst of the honey is gone).  I think the honey would just rip it up at first.

You probably already know this, but those things are seriously bad for you.  I always wear gloves when using them and only use them when nothing else will work. (I really should stop buying them given that I know how terrible they are).

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#6 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 08:39 AM

I do know... And I do wear gloves- I clean houses for a living and use all natural products but nothing comes close to those- it saves me a lot- and I mean a lot of pain!

#7 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom31 View Post

I do know... And I do wear gloves- I clean houses for a living and use all natural products but nothing comes close to those- it saves me a lot- and I mean a lot of pain!

It seems so unfair that the stuff that is the worst works the best!! 

#8 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 08:48 AM

I know!!!  We need to petition green clean companies to come out with a safe product that works like them!  I do find melaluca magic works very well too... I really like their products.

#9 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 12:42 PM

I could lend you a helpful beagle!  :)  

Imakcerka likes this.
#10 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 12:58 PM

My kid's father once tried to make mead, and exploded the container all over the kitchen floor. Sticky honey mess was everywhere. He got as much as possible up with the mop but it left a sticky residue. I can't remember if I used bleach or vinegar, (I actually think it was vinegar) and it took out the stickiness.

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

#11 of 15 Old 01-25-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post
You probably already know this, but those things are seriously bad for you.  I always wear gloves when using them and only use them when nothing else will work. (I really should stop buying them given that I know how terrible they are).

Wait... what??  I've looked and have never been able to find info on their toxicity.  Links?

For the OP - hot water and vinegar.  But like the pps said - use a stiff piece of cardboard or something similar (cut up a cereal box) to scrape up the bulk of it onto a paper bag or the like.  Get a fresh piece of cardboard when the first one is loaded.  Anything that can be should just be immersed in hot water.  For anything else, the hottest water you can stand and finish it off with vinegar, the stronger the better.  Vinegar dissolves honey pretty well. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#12 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 08:26 AM

Ok, think I have egg on my face on this one.  I was one of those people who believed they had formaldahyde in them!!  So from what I've been seeing now (that I'm actually researching and not just reading the label) is that they are not toxic when in use, but are not eco-friendly either.

http://mommyfootprint.com/magic-cleaning-erasers-toxic-or-eco-friendly/

#13 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I like the beagle idea. 

#14 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

I just kept ignoring that mess for days and days smile.gif

Last night I tried scraping it up, but with the angle of the cabinet, size of my belly and subsequent mess that I made on the counter, it wasn't working. So I soaked a couple old prefolds in steaming hot water and basically melted the honey off. 

the ONLY problem that I have left, that I have a feeling is just going to not ever get touched, is that honey dripped from the back of the last cabinet shelf then ran down my walls, onto the counter. I wiped the walls, counter and shelf, but I cant to where the bottom of the cabinet and the wall meet. I cant even explain it. Why there was an open gap there is beyond me. headscratch.gif

Oh well, thanks for the suggestions! 

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#15 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I ignore all sorts of messes.  It's my thing and it makes me pretty AWESOME!  The honey will eventually be cleaned up by ants.  Sheepish.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page