Bed frame V.O.C - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-14-2012, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I bought a bed frame last year around June and up until yesterday I couldn't figure out what the smell in my room was from.  I moved into a newly build apt. complex with new carpeting as well.  Around the time I bought my new bed I could smell a strong odor that was going straight to my sinuses.  Yesterday my nephew was here and I mentioned it to  him and he told me its my bed frame.  He said that the smell was because of V.O.C.  He explained it and now I am wondering is it dangerous to my health? Should I paint over it?  

Any suggestions would be great.  

Thank you,

Very Concerned!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-14-2012, 07:58 AM

VOCs are definitely bad for your health, and indoor air quality is an issue that isn't receiving enough attention! New furniture (wooden and metal) typically do have a coating that off-gasses VOCs when new. That said, at this point, I'd say your exposure risk likely comes from the newly built apartment (paint, carpeting, insulation, etc.) more than the coating on your 8-month-old furniture.

If i were you, I'd focus on improving your indoor air quality overall, by opening windows when possible and buying house plants that can filter out VOCs and other chemicals (corn plants, ficus, spider plants, and rubber plants are the ones I can think of right off).

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 4 Old 02-16-2012, 11:13 AM

In fact if your bed frame is not solid wood, then the whole thing is off-gassing vocs, not just the surface. Plywood is wood chips and glue,, but nowadays most wood looking things are actually something more like paper and glue... so lots of voc's. Makes no sense environmantally to throw them out and buy new ones, so don't want to freak you out, also there's nothing you can do about the vocs in your apartment. Painting over does not help, they would come through anyways, and low voc paints are expensive. So you can get a peace of mind  with "mosaics" advise on opening windows when ever possible (air conditioning mostly circulates) and if you get serious about it, green home shops and websites sell those air purifiers.

#4 of 4 Old 02-17-2012, 07:25 PM

AFM Safecoat makes products that seal in formaldeyde and other toxic chemicals. I would advise using Hardseal which you can paint on. Any of the AFM Safecoat Paints will also form a membrane and seal in toxins.

http://organicgrace.com/home-afm

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page