Bed Frame ideas needed! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-18-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! I'm pretty new to this end of the forum, but I'm in the market for some home improvement type stuff, just because I want to get more organized, and have some furniture that I like and that will last a while.

I just ordered my ds a trundle for a bed (I'm a single mom, we live in the 1BR, this will save us lots of space, and he will be able to sleep in his own space - he's 3yo, and we're both ready to be done co-sleeping.

I'm now looking for a bed frame for my mattress/box spring that his trundle will fut under. It will need at least 10" of space under the frame so that the trundle fits (this will allow his comforter. sheets, etc to clear the bed, it gives me 3" extra space above the minimum I would need), and there will need to be at least 74" between the feet on the bedframe (so that it fits lengthwise). His trundle is wood, and will be a mahogany finish (this style was 50% off, I don't much care if they match or not as long as both are wood, or they don't clash too terribly much - it wasn't my first choice for stain, but oh well).

Any ideas of where I can look for a nice bedframe that won't cost me a terrible amount of money? I am trying to be very careful budgeting my money, and can probably spend about $300-400 on this (I already got my tax return).

TIA!

#2 of 7 Old 02-18-2012, 03:05 PM

Ikea has several bed frames that work with trundles, though I guess if you had the store near you you would have bought the trundle there.

bbb has bed raisers that might work with your current frame

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#3 of 7 Old 02-18-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

I did look at IKEA online, but I didn't like the trundle they have. I want it to last, and there's looks rather cheaply done, the one I got was about the same price, and much higher quality which means I will be able to use it for a long time (or it will be in DS's room for sleepovers and such, which will be really nice. It could also be converted into under bed storage if I needed to, and at half off, it was a steal).

I will probably go to IKEA at some point, when I can get a zipcar without too much hassle, since its not on a metro line. I need to measure the different frames, because most of them are too low to the ground I think.

#4 of 7 Old 02-27-2012, 03:18 PM

Not sure if you're into the idea of building something instead of buying - it can be a real money saver!

This site has some *amazing* and VERY easy to follow plans... Here is a beautiful bed.... (and I'm sure you could modify the plans a bit to get the height and such that you're looking for)

http://ana-white.com/2009/10/farmhouse-bed-save-158100_7467.html

#5 of 7 Old 02-27-2012, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

AWESOME!  I love working with wood.  And they're easy.  Well... until you saw off a thumb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels* View Post

Not sure if you're into the idea of building something instead of buying - it can be a real money saver!

This site has some *amazing* and VERY easy to follow plans... Here is a beautiful bed.... (and I'm sure you could modify the plans a bit to get the height and such that you're looking for)

http://ana-white.com/2009/10/farmhouse-bed-save-158100_7467.html

#6 of 7 Old 02-27-2012, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

That is really pretty!! I'm not handy at all, lol, otherwise I'd be all over it!!
#7 of 7 Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

How about a platform bed on cinderblocks.  I know sounds getto but you cover the cinder blocks in thick pretty fabric and batting.  I don't have a picture but a friend of ours did this in their kids room and it looked awesome.  Now if only I had a truck I'd be loading all sorts of stuff in that thing from home depot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

That is really pretty!! I'm not handy at all, lol, otherwise I'd be all over it!!

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page