HELP! I need mattress advice! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-28-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our Restonic mattress is starting to sink in the middle and I would like to replace it.  I don't really want to buy a conventional mattress because of all the chemicals and off gassing.  I've looked at an organic mattress on Sam's Club's website but am leery about buying one without testing it first.  Are latex mattresses less toxic than conventional?  Should I get a comfortable conventional mattress and wrap it- is that even possible?  Any suggestions?

#2 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 11:01 AM

A real "natural" latex mattress is less toxic, yes.  But they are also far harder to find and more expensive.  Most "latex" mattresses are synthetic, which is a completely different ball game.  Not sure how synthetic latex compares to conventional mattresses, but I'm sure it would depend in part on the percentage of synthetic latex and what it was made out of (petroleum vs. soybean vs. whatever else they're making it out of now). 

Have you checked your box spring?  If it's sagging in the middle, it may just be that the box spring needs replacing.  I know my box spring is broken on one edge where I kinda "hop" to get in and out of the bed (it's too tall for me to just sit on), and is therefore sagging on that side.  You can also consider a slat frame to replace the box spring (or even just to put between the mattress and box spring.  It's far cheaper than replacing the box spring. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 03:45 PM

It is impossible to "wrap" a new toxic mattress and keep all the chemicals in. They offgas and that gas penetrates most covers. Possibly you could do plastic but I don't think it would be comfortable and you run the risk of growing mold inside. Knowing what I know - I could never spend money on something new that is so toxic (which conventional mattresses are!) When they offgas - it offgasses into your body. For women (and little girls) this means these chemicals go into your unborn children and your breastmilk. 

A good organic mattress company (like us!) will work with you to try and get you just the right mattress. There are Zip Outer Latex Layered mattresses that you can swap a layer out on if you end up uncomfortable. We also offer 10% off to all Mothering mamas to help ease the cost a bit.

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#4 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 05:53 PM

Buying a good condition used mattress is not only way cheaper, but it will have off-gased much of its toxins already.  It will still continue to off-gas some, but the worst of it will be gone.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#5 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 06:01 PM

I replaced DD's bed with naturpedic and plan to due the same with ours. 

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#6 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 AM

The problem with this theory is that when petroleum foam becomes old it begins to break down. It bonds with the dust particles in your house, settling on the floor (where crawlers hands are covered with it) and getting kicked up into the air each time you walk through your house. A study was done recently where they vaccumed 75 random floors across America and each one had incredibly high levels of this dust - called SVOCs. SVOCs actually become much worse with age, as opposed to VOCs which become better. Another study was done testing the blood of house cats, who live on the floor, in this dust, and the levels were off the charts. Our babies and children also spend a lot of time crawling around on the floor so this was not good news. Finding this information out prompted me to begin a 6 year process of ridding our home of all petro-chemical foams.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambleberry View Post

Buying a good condition used mattress is not only way cheaper, but it will have off-gased much of its toxins already.  It will still continue to off-gas some, but the worst of it will be gone.

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

#7 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

I bought a mattress from Organic Grace.  Talia was amazing to work with!!  She was very patient and helpful and I am so glad we went this route for peace of mind!

#8 of 8 Old 04-03-2012, 06:48 PM

Thank you greencrunchymom! All mattresses are 10% off, free shipping and come with free pillows this month for our Earth Day Sale.....Coyuchi bedding is 20% off   

Sale Details   http://organicgrace.com/node/1260

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page