Non-toxic Sofa Ideas for < $2000? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 05-19-2014, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I am wondering what you ended up doing!

We have been without a couch for around 6 months- and I never realized how valuable it was!  I came to the same conclusions after attempting to replace the old couches that my husband had-

1. All organic couches online are around $3k and a couple hundred for shipping

2. No one even KNOWS about flame retardants- so I sound like some crazy hippy

3. Any couch from the 60's that is still around has got to have been re-stuffed by now with new foam

I thought that we might just go ahead and invest in some safe bean bag loungers and save the big money for a couple years down the road when more couches will be around with out the retardants- (thanks to a new bill that passed late last year!).  But after spending 2 weeks looking, combing amazon, and calling companies- just about all of them use post-recycled furniture foam that has been treated! :(

So- back to the drawing board.  I saw that someone had posted a safe fill for bean bag chairs as buckwheat hulls- sounds tempting...  I was also thinking about filling it with down or wool- both might be more expensive than the buckwheat.  I also saw that a few sites- like Jaxx would sell just the covers for these giant loungers for around $200.

Has anyone found an affordable furniture site?  Or company?  I have combed the net for the past 6 months- but all that I find are around 3K and up.  I need some big lounger to take the place of a couch- something that will fit 2 adults and 2 children..

#32 of 32 Old 05-24-2014, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, if anyone is also looking for a non toxic alternative seating- this is what we did after 3 weeks of internet research:

-There was one company that had made non toxic/ no flame retardant bean bag chairs- for really cheap too!  cozysack.com. I ended up getting a 7.5ft one- we'll see how it goes! it was >$300

- before I found the above site- I thought about buying the cover and stuffing it.  For a non toxic fill- I found the buckwheathull.com, (but was expensive)- the only foam carrier that carried foam that was untreated was http://www.unitedpillow.com/catalog/Shredded_Foam-986-1.html and it was not very expensive.

So if anyone finds this- I hope it helps your search!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page