Cleaning stainless cookie sheets - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

At least the label claimed they are stainless steel.... But they are HORRIBLE.

After only a few uses, they are sticky and grimy and I can't get them clean. I tried Bon Ami and a nylon scrubber. Nothing came off. Sprayed with vinegar, sprinkled on some baking soda, and let them sit. Nothing. Made a baking soda paste, then added Dawn and HOT water, left them to soak. Still nothing. Threw them into the dishwasher without rinsing all the stuff off -- they're a mess.

Now what do I try? Or do I toss them? And if I toss them, please recommend cookie sheets (preferably made in USA) that won't do this!

#2 of 5 Old 03-13-2012, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are you using cooking spray on them?  That's a common effect of cooking spray.  It'll have that effect on any cookie sheet that isn't non-stick.  Some oils will have that same effect when exposed to the heat.  Try sticking to oils that can handle the high heat, like coconut oil, it's less likely to happen.  Although sugars in food can have a similar effect (squash and sweet potato leave a nasty residue). 

To get them clean, you need to soak them in the hottest water possible to soften the oil, and then scrub, and usually a nylon scrubby isn't going to do it - steel wool is the only thing I've found.  I usually do BS and steel wool. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 5 Old 03-14-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Nope. No cooking spray. I had assumed that's what happened to my last set of sheets, so I swore off it, but I did use them for frozen processed foods so whatever fake chemical stuff is in those probably had the same effect. Ick! I'll invest in some steel wool and see how that goes.

#4 of 5 Old 03-15-2012, 12:34 PM

If they have sides, or if there's any means you have to submerge them in boiling water, it might be worth trying that to lift off whatever sticky stuff is on them (maybe fill the sink with a potful of boiling water and give them some time in there?)  I've had good luck with a lot of weird things doing that for my cookware, followed by a regular scrub down with bon ami and/or baking soda.  

Sometimes I'll also find that using parchment paper will help get rid of old cooking residue that never really cleaned off AND keep the pan relatively clean from whatever I'm making (I'm assuming it'll slightly absorb whatever's under it, and obviously it works out better when cooking something that isn't terribly messy on top at the time - maybe just rolls or biscuits or whatever).

HERE is cleaning info that I've found helpful but I don't think has really new breakthroughs for you to try, but it might so hey, check it out anyway.  

#5 of 5 Old 03-15-2012, 01:34 PM

I throw mine in the self cleaning cycle of my oven and they come beautifully clean. It never seems to last long before they are gross again, but they sure do look nice right after I've done it.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page