Commercial Products that you've ditched, and what you've replaced them with - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-26-2012, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was looking around my bathroom the other day, and realized that since joining MDC I've learned a lot about how to be more mindful and also sustainable in the products I use around the home.  So THANK-YOU all for the help! joy.gif

Just thought it might be fun and also helpful to see what commercial products we have all managed to replace in our homes and what we've replaced them with.  I still have some ways to go, but in the last year I've made major changes thanks to MDC. 

Here is my list:

Cosmetics/beauty products

Shampoo - replaced with Baking Soda/Water

Conditioner - replaced with ACV/Water

Leave in Conditioner - replaced with a few drops of coconut oil

Facial cleanser - replaced with raw honey

Household Cleaners

Bathroom cleaner - Water/White Vinegar/tea tree oil

Multi Surface Cleaner - Dr. Bronners/Water/Vinegar

Comet - Baking Soda

Toilet Cleaner - Borax

Multi Surface Cleaner (2) - Vinegar/Water

Window Cleaner - Water/Borax/Dishsoap/Vinegar

Laundry Detergent - Borax/Washing Soda/pure soap

Fabric Softener - White Vinegar

Looking forward to seeing other people's lists as I know I have room for improvement (such as wood floor cleaner, moisturizer for my face and body, wood cleaner, etc.)

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-27-2012, 05:11 PM

My list is similar to your but I will add that for my face and body lotion I use coconut oil

For my wood, mirrors ect I use vinegar and water for yrs and have never had trouble. : )

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#3 of 4 Old 03-28-2012, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I no longer buy lotions and moisturizers. I make my own blend of olive oil, essential oils and beeswax and my skin has never been healthier or easier to care for.

Three and a half years ago I bought a complete set of Enjo and haven't had to buy anything else for cleaning my home since and no more empty boxes and bottles even for the recycling bin.

#4 of 4 Old 03-29-2012, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post

I no longer buy lotions and moisturizers. I make my own blend of olive oil, essential oils and beeswax and my skin has never been healthier or easier to care for.

Three and a half years ago I bought a complete set of Enjo and haven't had to buy anything else for cleaning my home since and no more empty boxes and bottles even for the recycling bin.

Can you share your recipe or recommend a good resource for that?  I've noticed switching to honey has been great for my skin so I'd be really interested in switching out moisturizers and lotions too.

Also, does anyone have a good line of natural make-up they can recommend?  I was using the Eminence sun defence powder and actually really liked it, but recently read this:

"ALSO, Eminence is in trouble for not telling the truth about its organic ingredients. It claims to be organic-certified, but its skin care products are not certified by the USDA or any other official board. And the company refuses to give a full list of ingredients on any of its products. It’s impossible to tell whether all the ingredients are truly organic, and it would be dangerous to use if you have a skin allergy of some kind because you can’t get a full list of ingredients. The company is being held in a lawsuit with a number of other ‘organic’ skin care companies for false advertisement."

so now I'm looking for something different.  Just a light mineral powder that I can use for really light coverage without foundation, etc.

Thanks!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page