Safe shower curtain liner? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-29-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dh wants to buy a cheap plastic shower curtain liner for our boys' bathroom.  Eegads, no!  Can anyone tell me alternative materials that are made for liners?  Also, I'd love to hear of sources for purchasing them!  TIA!

Peace ~~

#2 of 5 Old 03-30-2012, 07:05 AM

we got one for 15$ at whole foods

not sure what brand its disposable so not sturdy at all and we now after a few months need to replace it because its moldy on the bottom

#3 of 5 Old 03-30-2012, 09:40 AM

I'm not sure how safe it is, but I found a polyester fabric curtain liner at TJMaxx. It was washable, so I washed it as soon as I took it out of the package and when it was dry it had no odor, so I take that to mean there wasn't a lot of off-gassing like there is with those thick vinyl ones. It lasted a couple years with regular washes in vinegar.

It was only seven bucks. It didn't seem like it would repel water, but it did just fine. Hope that helps!

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
#4 of 5 Old 03-30-2012, 03:33 PM

I recently bought a fabric shower curtain liner. (Don't remember what kind of fabric.) I got it at Target for $20. The package said it was washable. It really does repel water. I'm not sure how "safe" it is, or what your requirements for "safe" really are.

SAHMhippie.gif married to DH treehugger.gif since 09/11. Mama to DD (01/08)dust.gifand DS (06/12) babyboy.gif

#5 of 5 Old 03-30-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm just trying to avoid those plastic, stinky ones that you know can't be healthy for you.  I also found an liner at Gaiam for $12.  It doesn't say what it's made of, just that it has no odor or cholrine. 

Peace ~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page