What's your favorite urban homesteading book? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-10-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DP and I have a small house and yard in our city. We have spent several years using permaculture principals to landscape and garden in our yard and grow some of our own food. We also sold our only car and are happily car-free.

We're interested in taking things to another level over the next few years. Here are some of the specific projects that we want to tackle:

--building a shed/shelter for our bikes (we don't have a garage)

--raising chickens

--possibly bee keeping (I'm interested, DP is lukewarm on this one)

--possibly creating a hydroponics system and raising tilapia (DP is gung ho on this one, I'm lukewarm)

--possibly adding some more sustainable features to our house, such as a composting toilet and/or gray water system

--planting fruit trees

What books or other resources do you recommend? We don't need the pep talk about WHY to make these changes, we need the nuts & bolts on HOW to do it.

There are a lot of books about urban homesteading. Which ones are the good ones?

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#2 of 5 Old 05-10-2012, 11:21 AM

well, I think it depends on how urban you are, while I haven't read to many I'm very partial to The Backyard homestead and it's companion about animals The Backyard Homestead Guide to Raising Farm Animals obviously these are not for city urban but more for suburban and small town more likely to put up with stuff urban. but I have them on rotation at my library they are definatly my favorite so far.

#3 of 5 Old 05-10-2012, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I really liked The Backyard Homestead by Carleen Madigan and The Urban Homestead: Your Guide to Self-sufficient Living in the Heart of the City by Kelly Coyne and Erik Knutzen. They may not cover everything in as much detail as you need (and I don't think either one addresses fisheries) but they may be of some help. Actually, now that I think about it, they are probably not going to be of much use, other than maybe tree planting and chickens and possibly a starter gray water system.

Also check out the Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery -- I don't remember much about it other than it was a TON of information, but it can't hurt to get it from the library if you can.

#4 of 5 Old 05-10-2012, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

The first book I ever read on the subject was The Integral Urban House, a classic.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#5 of 5 Old 05-11-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions!

We are in a city of about 200,000 that is pretty open to urban homesteading stuff (chickens are allowed here, there are lots of community gardens, etc.).

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page