Has anyone painted a room black? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 05-17-2012, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If yes, can you provide photos?

We are thinking of painting our powder room black, but I am a little nervous about it.

I had planned to wallpaper the room with a really neat black on black wallpaper.  It had a classic retro-ish pattern of mat and gloss.  But, once I realized the paper is over $1000 (for a really small room) the wallpaper was not an option.  I wasn't as nervous about black wallpaper, but the idea of solid black paint...might look odd.  I have never seen a black room - and maybe there is a good reason for thatwinky.gif

TIA

#2 of 27 Old 05-17-2012, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

I haven't painted a room black, but my experience with dark paint and rooms with water vapor is not good.

Our son's bedroom is painted red - was red when we bought the house.  When we put a humidifier in there, we wound up with visible water drips on the walls - the paint didn't run or anything, but the places where water hit and ran down the walls were very obvious.  They still are.  Years later.  Drips + red are not a great combo - looks like bleeding.  We're going to have to repaint at some point.  A friend had the same thing happen in her red bathroom.

Black is a PITA to repaint.

#3 of 27 Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

MeepyCat,

Thanks,

Yes, repainting is one of my concerns.

Since this is just a powder room with no bath or shower I thought it might be alright.  But you have a point...just splashes from the sink or a neighbor boy peeing erratically might be a problem.  We normally use an eggshell finish but I was thinking of using a satin finish since dark colors can look chalky.  We use Pratt & Lambert paint which is less shiny than paints like Behr so a satin finish w/n/b too shiny but might be cleanable.

The drippy red room sounds sort of scary!

#4 of 27 Old 05-17-2012, 11:20 AM

Don't have pic's at the moment (and it isn't actually black) but in the past year I painted our dining room a very dark brown (at one point we had a very deep purple bedroom, that we'd painted).  I really like it - but being a dining room, there are 3 other rooms it's open to that are not dark colors and that bring more light into it.  I have white furniture and b/w white framed artwork in there to lighten it too, and picked a satin finish (so it's somewhat reflective, which I prefer with the very deep colors).

Unless you hate the accent wall thing, you could work on it slowly one wall at a time (as opposed to the whole room all at once).  Might give you a sense of what it would be like.  

I wouldn't worry too much about repainting - a good primer would cover it.  You might have to do an additional coat of primer at the most and even better use a self-priming paint on top of that (this is what I did with our deep purple room).

#5 of 27 Old 05-17-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mumkimum.

I agree with you about the stain finish for a really dark color.

I just got back from the paint store with swatches.  I decide not to go with pure black but have brought home some really dark warm taupe-ish grays (as well as other colors I am considering).  We have quite a few dark rooms in our house so I am not afraid of dark paint colors...I've just never had a really small windowless room this dark.  But, since it is a powder room...people are not in there too long!  The room is an odd shape with several angles and cut outs so I do not think an accent wall would work in this case. 

The painter comes in the morning, so I need to decide and get back to the paint store today.

#6 of 27 Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 PM

Does the room have windows? How is the lighting? If there isn't too much light, 80% black (dark grey) can appear black, and true black can appear awful. Even with good lighting, 90% black can do the job, you never know. You can get some samples from the paint store and choose the right intensity.

ETA: Ehh, posted before I saw your reply above. Oops.

#7 of 27 Old 05-17-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDouble View Post

Does the room have windows? How is the lighting? If there isn't too much light, 80% black (dark grey) can appear black, and true black can appear awful. Even with good lighting, 90% black can do the job, you never know. You can get some samples from the paint store and choose the right intensity.

ETA: Ehh, posted before I saw your reply above. Oops.

Although there are no windows, there is quite a bit of light.

I think you are correct about not going 100% black.

I think I just need to get the wallpaper out of my head and go in a different direction with a different color.  Although the wallpaper was solid black, it was the contrast in sheens and the pattern that made it look so rich.  A solid paint color will not have the same effect.

#8 of 27 Old 05-18-2012, 11:22 AM

You could always recreate the walpaperish design with stencils and two different finish/shades of black if you had the time or inclination it would give you the look you wanted to go for with less cost.

#9 of 27 Old 05-18-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isisandshiva View Post

You could always recreate the walpaperish design with stencils and two different finish/shades of black if you had the time or inclination it would give you the look you wanted to go for with less cost.

Yes, I thought of that; and years ago I w/h done that.  I have become lazy the past few years (hence the hiring of painters!)

Actually...I did mention it to my husband and he laughed.  We've gone through sponge painting and stenciling in the 80's, rag rolling and glazing in the 90's, etc.  Now we just paint solid colors.

#10 of 27 Old 05-21-2012, 07:37 AM

I had a dark green dining room, so dark that it looked black from certain angles as well as at night when no natural light entered.  We loved it until we go tired of it, then it had to go.  I have a navy blue bathroom (a navy with a strong black undertone) and yes, every splash will show.  Also, you can see the dust sticking to the walls, which drives me nuts.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#11 of 27 Old 05-21-2012, 09:25 AM

We painted our condo a very dark goldenrod/tan sort of color.  When we repainted, we tried that Behr primer+paint.  BAD IDEA.  It was like painting with pudding and still took 3-4 coats in some places.  In retrospect, it would have been easier to do a good primer and then a paint.

I think the drip marks happen with any color, though.  My son's room has a bright yellow wall, and the drips all show.  Our bathroom is a darkish tan (like a very dark beige), and it also shows all the drips where condensation gathers and drips; then collects in the lint dust from the towels.  That one drives me nuts.

I do love dark-dark bathrooms; especially if they are smallish and dark with a brilliant light and reflective fixtures. Something about the small space and intense colors/light just works for me.

#12 of 27 Old 05-21-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.  We ended up painting it red.  I typically do not care for red walls, but our flooring is a strange ugly color that really limits our wall choices.

Anyway, we always use Pratt and Lambert paint with an eggshell finish...it is not too shiny (much less shiny than the Behr eggshell finish).  Well, I decided to go with a satin finish since it is such a small room and I thought a little sheen might be nice and practical.  It is much more shiny than I expected.  I am considering calling the painter and having him repaint with the same color but in an eggshell finish.  I have to decide today because my husband is impatient and would like to put the fixtures back into the room.

This was my worst color choice week ever.  I also repainted the dining room and the master bath and I dislike both of the colors I chose.  I know what I wanted in my head...but the swatches I chose did not turn out like I hoped.  (I didn't have the time to go back and forth to the paint store and didn't want to waste the $$ on sample quarts.)

#13 of 27 Old 05-21-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jes h View Post

I do love dark-dark bathrooms; especially if they are smallish and dark with a brilliant light and reflective fixtures. Something about the small space and intense colors/light just works for me.

yes, this is what I imagined when I was considering the black wallpaper. 

#14 of 27 Old 05-21-2012, 04:50 PM

Probably a little late replying, but I just wanted to add that I just painted my powder room dark grey (Benjamin Moore Metropols Grey) and I love it! It does have a slight red undertone so perhaps it would work with your flooring also...
#15 of 27 Old 05-22-2012, 08:16 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Just a conversational reply - too late, and doesn't really apply anyway...

In my old house, my Mom's bedroom was high gloss absolute black. So black and glossy that we used black fingernail polish to touch up scratches! A huge room, 18x18, and very high (white) ceilings. Big windows, lots of doors and closets and trim in white. Her furniture was all white wicker. Royal purple drapes over whits lace curtains, and a patchwork quilt in shades of purple. The look was incredible! I wish we had saved pictures.

In the same house, my bedroom was burgandy, the kitchen was deep salmon, the living room was dark taupe, and on and on. I miss that house! Current house is rented, and all washed out pastels. Boring.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#16 of 27 Old 05-22-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three~Little~Birds View Post

Probably a little late replying, but I just wanted to add that I just painted my powder room dark grey (Benjamin Moore Metropols Grey) and I love it! It does have a slight red undertone so perhaps it would work with your flooring also...

I'm going to look up that color...not sure how long we will keep the red.

thx

#17 of 27 Old 05-22-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

In my old house, my Mom's bedroom was high gloss absolute black. So black and glossy that we used black fingernail polish to touch up scratches! A huge room, 18x18, and very high (white) ceilings. Big windows, lots of doors and closets and trim in white. Her furniture was all white wicker. Royal purple drapes over whits lace curtains, and a patchwork quilt in shades of purple. The look was incredible! I wish we had saved pictures.

Wow...sounds dramatic!     I wish you had a photo too; I would love to see it.

I like dark walls and have quite a few dark rooms; but they are more of the taupe-ish shades.  Our trim and doors are also white.  Our master bedroom is a color I call - 'clay mud'.  The main living area is a taupe that gets a lot of compliments - it took many trips back to the paint store to get the shade I wanted.  I typically have the paint store add a little of this and a little of that until I get a shade I like.  But this time I just went with a ready-made colors.   When the children were little, their bedroom was a deep gold.  (Now they pick their own colors.)

Last week, besides the red powder room, I had the master bath and dining room painted light shades to break up all the darkness.  I have a large painting that needs to be stretched and hung in the dining room - I thought the lighter walls would showcase the painting better than dark walls.

#18 of 27 Old 05-22-2012, 11:01 AM

too late to help but what about painting the room black then using a stencil to put white designs on?  that sounds close to what you were seeking.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#19 of 27 Old 05-22-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

too late to help but what about painting the room black then using a stencil to put white designs on?  that sounds close to what you were seeking.

I thought about painting the room black eggshell finish and then stenciling over in black satin finish.  But I have too many projects going on and not enough energy so I let it drop. (Lately I tend to start projects and not finish; one of the reasons we hired out the painting.)  I still might do it one day.

#20 of 27 Old 05-22-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post

I thought about painting the room black eggshell finish and then stenciling over in black satin finish.  But I have too many projects going on and not enough energy so I let it drop. (Lately I tend to start projects and not finish; one of the reasons we hired out the painting.)  I still might do it one day.

In a design mag I saw a dark green mate that had high gloss stripes in the same color, it looked great. 

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#21 of 27 Old 05-23-2012, 08:32 AM

Sorry to hear you've got color regret already.  

I will say that I've found our semi-gloss shades end up a lot less intensely glossy after a week or two.  We've been using SherwinWilliams paints, though, and I'm sure it varies by paint.  But if it's part of the issue, there might be some hope that it changes just a bit and is more tolerable in case you can't get it re-done right away.

#22 of 27 Old 05-23-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post

I will say that I've found our semi-gloss shades end up a lot less intensely glossy after a week or two.  We've been using SherwinWilliams paints, though, and I'm sure it varies by paint.  But if it's part of the issue, there might be some hope that it changes just a bit and is more tolerable in case you can't get it re-done right away.

It does seem less shiny now.  I think it takes a few days to dry completely.  (There was one coat of primer and three coats of paint.)

We decided not to repaint.  The shinier surface is probably more practical for that room anyway.  The color and sheen are growing on us.  I think we will put the fixtures back in tonight and see how it comes together.

#23 of 27 Old 05-23-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post

In a design mag I saw a dark green mate that had high gloss stripes in the same color, it looked great. 

Never thought of that.  We're deciding what to do with our bedroom now (finally, after 3 years.  Every other room was done right away).  I'll keep this as an idea!

#24 of 27 Old 05-31-2012, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A little late, and I hear the colour you chose is growing on you yay! ... but at one time I had come across a black guest bathroom (on a blog) and it was really nice., although  I cannot find it right now. I did a search on pinterest (do you know that site - its a place to book mark your finds and keep them organized) for black bathroom and this came up.

http://pinterest.com/search/?q=black+bathroom

Maybe the link will be useful for future inspiration (search for any room, design idea etc)

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#25 of 27 Old 05-31-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three~Little~Birds View Post

Typo sorry! Should read "metropolis"!
#26 of 27 Old 06-04-2012, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Here is that black bathroom I was recalling:

http://aestheticoutburst.blogspot.com/2012/02/bathroom-renovation.html

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#27 of 27 Old 06-04-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRise View Post

Here is that black bathroom I was recalling:

http://aestheticoutburst.blogspot.com/2012/02/bathroom-renovation.html

It looks good.

Her wallpaper looks nice - and only cost $30!  Everything I found cost a fortune...which is why we decided to paint.

I haven't looked for a new mirror yet.  Once I hang the mirror I should post a photo of my newly painted powder room.  The red, and the sheen, is really growing on me.  But the black is still a consideration for the future.   I like the Benjamin Moore Metropolis that Three~Little~Birds suggested.  (Actually...I wish I would have used the Metropolis in my Master Bath.)

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page