Pest Control! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Let me start by saying that I live in a tropical/humid climate. Which means that EVERYONE around here has to fight roaches to keep them out of there homes. Cleaning DOES NOT keep them away. I clean my house everyday, I do not leave food, crumbs, or dirty dishes around. But neither do most of my neighbors and they are suffering as well. The people who don't have roaches are the ones that get there houses professionally sprayed a few times a year.

I have been trying to avoid getting my house sprayed with toxic chemicals. I have looked online and tried some of the methods mentioned: D/E powder, baking soda/sugar, bay leaves, sticky pads, organic sprays, even those motel things that you hide in the cabinets and underneath the fridge. Nothing has worked. I am really overwhelmed with the whole situation now after so many failed attempts to control and eliminate these pests.

I have 2 small children, two parrots, and I am pregnant. I REALLY REALLY don't want to bring all that poison in my home for the safety of my children. But I can't find an alternative that works for us and I can't live like this anymore!

Does anyone have any tips that actually work? Maybe something YOU have actually tried?

Thanks.

#2 of 9 Old 05-19-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

anyone?

#3 of 9 Old 05-19-2012, 12:22 PM

I don't know if this helps, but our neighbors were saying that they had problems until they cut the trees back from their house. Once they trimmed the trees, they stopped seeing so many roaches. 

They're unavoidable where we are, for the most part, too.  Good luck!

#4 of 9 Old 05-20-2012, 07:34 PM

One thing you can do is make your home physically roach resistant by caulking all cracks - everything you can find including behind baseboards, cabinet connections to the walls, absolutely everything.  Make the house air tight.  It will make it more energy efficient too.  It is not an easy option though.  And most caulk has nasty solvents in it.  

An easier option is to pretend you can't see them.  Or that they're little fairies who have come to clean your house for you - house elves :)

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#5 of 9 Old 05-20-2012, 10:11 PM

what type of roaches are they, american are 2" long or german roaches 1/2" LONG, american come from the city canals at night, they spend 80% of the time flying.  they manage to get in through drainage of cr, sinks, doors and windows.

you could use non-chemical traps or gels which has the consistency of toothpaste.  the chemical in this is quite small but enough to kill the roaches.  just put a 1/4" DROP and it stays in place.

#6 of 9 Old 05-25-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

I believe they are mostly german. Although now that summer is here we are seeing more of those big ones that sneak in from outside.

I have heard that palm trees attract the big ones, and we have a few of those. We are still remodeling our home so there is some caulking and stuff that needs to be done. But my main issue now is what to do with the ones that already made their way into my home and set up shop.

Lol, I like the comment about pretending I can't see them.

I actually looked around online at some "organic" exterminators in my area. I'm just not sure what kind of $$$ they want and I don't feel like having them come to my home just to tell me that they are too expensive for my budget! I guess I will have to try though because it is getting too out of control for just sticky traps :( Although I've heard that you can't really trust when they say they are organic because you can say whatever you want about pesticides and get away with it?

#7 of 9 Old 06-01-2012, 10:36 AM

I lived in Hong Kong and we also had a struggle with roaches. Yuck! The thing that worked the best for us was to make it impossible to get in. Cauking, and wire mesh. Then we made sure there was no place within the house they were hiding. All food items were in glass or plastic (hard plastic) containers and dishes were done immediately. After we did that, we didn't have an issue. Although, we used to keep our shoes outside until I put my foot in a shoe that was occupied!!!!! I didn't know cockroaches could bite until that day. Shudder.
#8 of 9 Old 06-07-2012, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

One apartment I lived in had roaches... I kept ALL my food in the fridge; cereal, flour, etc. That's easier when you are just one person. I'd have kept my dishes there, too, if I could have. I sprinkled boric acid around even though the building got sprayed periodically. Obviously, you would have to do that where the kids couldn't touch it, but you could put it under your fridge. At least it isn't a spray getting into the air... The worst was wanting to keep a cup of water next to the bed but worrying a roach would go in it. One got in my alarm clock so I could see it moving around in front of the digital display. 

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#9 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 08:01 PM

As a long time NYC apartment dweller, I can tell you that nothing works besides insane amounts of Borax and that brown gel the pest guy applies to hinges and edges of things. They carry the gel to their nests and then you find dead roaches everywhere for about a week. Then you can breathe a sigh of relief. It's still pesticides, but it is not sprayed, and we just blocked off the kitchen from our then toddler. The gel dries fairly quickly, so it isnt messy and it doesn't spread around. But very effective. 

buddamomimg1.pngWriter/Designer/Hip Hippie Russian Mama to Torngtongue.gif (3yo) and Kboc.gif(4mo)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page