Vacuum recommendations - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-18-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dh wants to buy me a new vacuum. It's a late Mother's Day present. He was thinking of a Dyson. I'd like a vacuum with attachments  to vacumm furniture, stairs, and blinds. We have all wood floors and stairs so it needs to be wood safe. Any recommendations? 

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
#2 of 12 Old 05-18-2012, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

I like my Miele because I too love attachments and I personally hate the heaviness of the uprights.  There are better deals to be had with other brands, especially if you are not needing the power of an upright, but I love my super-quiet HEPA-filter vacuum.  I bought the model with the large power head, which upped the price dramatically.  That power head is much less powerful than uprights (any canister vacuums will be) but if you don't have carpets wall to wall it isn't as much an issue.  Even when I did, I still preferred my Miele canister.

I use mine for my housekeeping clients and use the power head regularlyat work, but at home we have no more carpets due to allergies, only some area rugs, and the cheaper models will do just fine for that.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 12 Old 05-21-2012, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

For all wood floors, you need a canister vac.  Uprights are not a good choice for all hard floors.  If you have some carpeting, then you need one with a powered carpet attachment. 

I went with a Riccar after shopping around.  The powered head does a marvelous job on the carpet we have in 1 room - the day we bought it we vacuumed that one room that hadn't been vacuumed in years, and the carpet went from grey to tan.  The unpowered head does beautifully on all our hardwood. 

Some of the reasons I chose the Riccar over the others I looked at:

Made in the USA

It's only sold by authorized retailers, who are also repair facilities - no sending it out for repair, it's all done right in house.

Every piece of the machine can be independently replaced/repaired.  No replacing a whole section for one little piece. 

HEPA filtration

I was able to choose the model with the features I needed/wanted - they have quite a few models from bare bones to high end.  They make both canister and upright.

Warranty

I will say that one of the things that I didn't know to look for before hand were the fully swiveling casters on the canister.  Most canisters will only have 2 swivel wheels and 2 fixed.  With 4 swivel wheels it'll follow right behind you like a puppy, no arguing to get it to turn with you. 

And my DS loves the auto-retract on the cord.  Plays with it constantly. 

I would skip the Dyson, and in fact any vacuum that is available at a box store.  They are essentially expensive disposables.  They are not intended to last much past the warranty period.  Getting them fixed is troublesome and not always possible (and often not worth the cost).  Check out the brands that aren't available at your box stores... Kirby, Miele, Riccar, I'm sure there are others I'm not familiar with.  They're intended to last longer and to be repaired when they break.  Find a local vacuum shop, stop in and ask them why they carry the brands they carry, you'll get some interesting information, I'm sure. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 12 Old 05-22-2012, 06:29 AM

Love our Miele.  We have a Red Star that's been going strong for eleven years; not sure if the exact model is made any longer.  We only have a few area rugs and it works like a charm.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#5 of 12 Old 05-22-2012, 11:54 AM

I love our Miele also.  It's been going strong for over nine years, and it sees daily use.  We used to have all hardwoods with a few area rugs.  Now all concrete with a few area rugs.  

#6 of 12 Old 05-22-2012, 02:38 PM

The pp.'s rec's and advice above are good.  Biggest thing to consider is vacuum style - we also have mostly wood and you really want a canister van, with a good attachment.

Don't have quite the vacuum as others - we have a simpler kenmore canister, but it's worked really well for us and repair stuff hasn't been a problem for it either (it's been in once or twice over the past 6-7 years).  If you can afford the others, I'd totally go for it in a vacuum though.  My BIL has used (& does like) their dyson - but he's had mostly carpet and just a few wood floors in his place which I think of as being more ideal for those.  

#7 of 12 Old 05-25-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Thank you for all the recommendations and helpful advice. smile.gif  Sounds like a canister vac would be the best bet for wood floors. I'll check out the different brands. I'd like a vacuum that will last a long time.

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
#8 of 12 Old 05-25-2012, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my miele. I have a pretty new one- it is the red one (miele only makes one model in each color so the red one is only one kind)  which has the attachment for carpets. I use it all the time and always htink how it is my #1 house cleaning tool. For example we recently have this annoying ant thing going on and I just vacuuum them right up- as well as other gross bugs I must admit. I vacuum every day because we have lots of carpeted areas (in our rental) and a sort of small space- anyway I find it helps to just stay on top of it. But the miele is so great- works so well and is quiet. I had another miele for yrs before this one but this one is better because it has the thing especially designed for carpets.

#9 of 12 Old 05-26-2012, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

I will say that one of the things that I didn't know to look for before hand were the fully swiveling casters on the canister.  Most canisters will only have 2 swivel wheels and 2 fixed.  With 4 swivel wheels it'll follow right behind you like a puppy, no arguing to get it to turn with you. 

This is important for me, too.  My vacuum can be shoved sideways, if I need it to go that way, because all the wheels swivel.  I was considering the Riccar as well when I bought my vacuum.  Good to hear some good recommendations.  

Consumer Reports regularly gives Dyson and Kenmore good marks.  Obviously, the Dyson doesn't come in a canister, but the Kenmore can be very reasonably priced.  Two things made me choose my Miele over the Kenmore: a true HEPA filter (this was years ago) and the noise level.  Also, the Kenmore model back then was not able to move easily in all directions-- something I didn't pay attention to when I tried them out.  (Was it worth hundreds of dollars more?  Well...... I love my vacuum, I will say that.)  

So, when trying out canister vacuums, don't stay in one place near the test rug.  Take it for a test drive-- haul that thing all over the store, around corners and see how it handles.  Switch out the attachments to see how annoying it might be  (attachments are one big reason why you buy the canister in the first place!)

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#10 of 12 Old 06-27-2012, 06:45 PM

I have this vacuum and I really like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Euro-Pro-Operated-Navigator-Lift-Away-Vacuum/dp/B004Q4DRJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340847821&sr=8-1&keywords=shark+vacuum

The price is pretty good too.

#11 of 12 Old 08-14-2012, 11:57 PM

Personally I love the Dyson Digital Slim my sister just bought. It's sleek, hangs up on the wall for easy storage, and my kids love to use it. I mean... who doesn't love that? It also turns into an old style dust buster if you want which is pretty neat.

#12 of 12 Old 08-19-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

For all wood floors, you need a canister vac.  Uprights are not a good choice for all hard floors.  If you have some carpeting, then you need one with a powered carpet attachment. 

I went with a Riccar after shopping around.  The powered head does a marvelous job on the carpet we have in 1 room - the day we bought it we vacuumed that one room that hadn't been vacuumed in years, and the carpet went from grey to tan.  The unpowered head does beautifully on all our hardwood. 

Some of the reasons I chose the Riccar over the others I looked at:

Made in the USA

It's only sold by authorized retailers, who are also repair facilities - no sending it out for repair, it's all done right in house.

Every piece of the machine can be independently replaced/repaired.  No replacing a whole section for one little piece. 

HEPA filtration

I was able to choose the model with the features I needed/wanted - they have quite a few models from bare bones to high end.  They make both canister and upright.

Warranty

And my DS loves the auto-retract on the cord.  Plays with it constantly. 

I would skip the Dyson, and in fact any vacuum that is available at a box store.  They are essentially expensive disposables.  They are not intended to last much past the warranty period.  Getting them fixed is troublesome and not always possible (and often not worth the cost).  Check out the brands that aren't available at your box stores... Kirby, Miele, Riccar, I'm sure there are others I'm not familiar with.  They're intended to last longer and to be repaired when they break.  Find a local vacuum shop, stop in and ask them why they carry the brands they carry, you'll get some interesting information, I'm sure. 

yeahthat.gif

We have a Riccar and love it, for all of the same reasons as Christeen. I love the fact that the roller is metal, not plastic. Great warranty, great attachments. Extremely well made. Another option we looked at is Miele. I asked two local vacuum shops which vacuum brand comes in the most often for repairs, and they both said Dyson and Hoover. In fact, I saw a whole line of Dyson's at the one shop waiting to be fixed when I bought my Riccar. :-) Our local vacuum shop also gave us a $50 discount for trading in our worthless Hoover. :-)

We have hardwood downstairs and carpet upstairs, and definitely recommend the canister vac. for hardwood floors. 

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page