bpa free freezer containers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-10-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm looking for something practical and affordable for preserving food in the freezer instead of freezer bags (something bpa-free).  We can tomatoes and jam, but prefer to freeze whole berries and most vegetables such as broccoli, green beans, snow peas, etc.  We have plenty of canning jars that I could use in the freezer, but I'd like something square that packs more tightly in the freezer so that it doesn't take up as much space.  Has anyone tried gladware or ziplock semi-disposable storage containers? They're not perfectly rectangular but they're cheap and bpa-free.  I'm a little worried about their lids falling off in while riffling around in the chest freezer to find things, or them not being air-tight enough for long term freezer use.  opinions? btdt? 

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What about these? They're BPA free.

I've used Gladware plastic containers and the lids stayed on okay in the freezer. I prefer Rubbermaid Takealongs though.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:58 PM

We don't use plastic at all (which for us means avoiding more than BPA). I use glass containers to freeze baby food and other stuff. Mine are from the Mighty Nest, but if you google glass freezer containers, you'll get lots of hits.

http://mightynest.com/search/apachesolr_search/glass%20freezer

Good luck !

buddamomimg1.pngWriter/Designer/Hip Hippie Russian Mama to Torngtongue.gif (3yo) and Kboc.gif(4mo)

Old 06-15-2012, 08:06 AM

we freeze things in bags rather than storage containers.  ziploc freezer bags seem to be a good choice and are bpa free.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 07-01-2012, 10:50 AM

BPA Free means virtually nothing. BPA Free plastics still leach hormone disruptors, according to recent studies. Whatever they have replaced the BPA with is untested on humans and could be just as bad or worse. But we won't hear about that for decades. If you truly want your food to be healthy and (as chemical free as possible) Glass is the only safe choice. We use Le Parfait Canning Jars which are very pricey but we add to our collection a little bit at a time. We also use some glass jars or storage containers with plastic lids with the theory the lids don't actually contact the food.....

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

User Tag List