troubleshooting homemade laundry detergent - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-11-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I started making laundry detergent using 1/3 of a bar of Dr Bronners, 1/4 cup borax and 1/4 cup of washing soda with 1 gal of water. We have an old top loader. I typically start the water, dump in the soap (about a capful from a detergent bottle, maybe 1/4 or 1/3 cup of detergent) then add the laundry. I'm having issues with the soap occasionally leaving greasy looking spots on clothes. I originally thought it was because I had been using glycerin soap so switched to the Dr Bronners but am still having this problem. If I use more soap in the wash then the soap doesn't all rinse out. Any ideas? 

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#2 of 5 Old 06-15-2012, 09:37 AM

I don't know how much Dr. Bronners superfats their bars so maybe that's the issue?

Have you tried using part of a Fels Naptha bar?  You can find those in some grocery stores in the laundry isle.

Also, I'd try upping the Borax and Washing Soda.

Also, I have an old top loader and the instructions on the lid say to add detergent first, then clothes, but I find with homemade laundry soap it works better if you put the clothes in while the it's filling up and then drizzle the soap on top.  Seems that the action of the washing machine works best when the soap is working it's way down through the clothes.

I've been using homemade laundry soap for 7 years and haven't had that issue, so I'm just guessing!

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
#3 of 5 Old 06-15-2012, 09:43 AM

Try adding washing soda to the wash water and vinegar to the rinse water.
#4 of 5 Old 06-15-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

I avoided using Fels Naptha because of the ingredients. I'll see if a little extra borax and washing soda helps, though it seems like our clothes are getting pretty faded. When I add the soap after the laundry, it seems like the greasy looking spots are worse. I'm too lazy to wait around for when my washer is rinsing to add vinegar to the rinse cycle though haha. Thanks y'all. 

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#5 of 5 Old 06-21-2012, 04:28 PM

Let us know what works for you!

And I agree with not waiting around for the vinegar, if I ever need to vinegar a load I just run it through twice and that's for really grubby stuff.

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page