Green Water Softener Systems for hard water issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-09-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi All,

After 4 repair visits (in 18 months) for our hot water heater, we are investigating water softener systems to combat our hard water.  Hopefully, this will solve multiple problems that we've had since moving into our house: water pressure, slow hot water coming from our tankless Takagi water heater, calcium on shower heads and in tea kettles, etc.  

I've been trying to find a no-salt solution to this problem.  Do any of you have a no-salt softening system?  Or have friends/neighbors with one?  I am looking at the Green Wave Water Softening System.  

http://www.uswatersystems.com/shop/categories/Salt-Free-Water-Conditioners/

We'd like to avoid having salt in our water because I don't want to bath in it, drink it, filter it, irrigate the garden with it, or give it to animals on our farm.  I also worry about the constant maintenance of another system.  Of course, we know the greenest thing to do is to just live with cold water forever!  Ha ha.  It hasn't been so bad in our 100 degree heatwave!

Thanks for any input,

Amy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

I haven't had a salt system nor do I have a no-salt suggestion but noticed your post and wanted to bump it up for attention. 

Anyone have anything to share? 

#3 of 3 Old 08-11-2012, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, we found a green plumber who installed a Watts filter, not a salt-based conditioner.  The plumber has had good success with it in other homes, and so far, so good here.  It was about the same cost, but the maintenance will be much less cost and easier on the planet.  We are happy to have hot water again after 6 weeks of cold showers!!!

Tags
Mindful Home

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page