Dingy clothes with the home made detergent - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-01-2012, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My clothes are not getting very clean, in fact a lot of them are still dirty when they come out.  I'm using the popular recipe with borax, fels naptha and washing soda.  I add oxy clean to boost it but that's not doing anything.  Any advice?  I really don't want to buy detergent, I honestly need to save the money.

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#2 of 3 Old 08-03-2012, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

With homemade detergent with real soap it it, clothes need stripping every once in a while especially if your water is hard at all. Boiling them or washing in very very hot water and vinegar ought to do it. Also you can try drying them in the sun to sun bleach them, or if you must, use the nasty chlorine bleach stuff on whites just this once. I've also heard of washing in salt water.

#3 of 3 Old 08-06-2012, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Try mixing with a little bit of "real" washing powder. Or switch to a cheap brand of real washing powder and try to dramatically cut the amount you are using. Try not to wash every shirt, but treat small stains, only wash if really needed.

If you can, don´t use your dryer- that will cost you more than the washing powder.

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page