Would you hire a cleaning lady who is a smoker? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you hire cleaning ladies who took breaks to smoke while cleaning if you worked well with them
Yes 14 37.84%
No 20 54.05%
Yes, but only once in a while and only if they washed their hands. 2 5.41%
Other 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 08-04-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hired 2 ladies to organize my basement, and I really enjoyed working with them. They also have a cleaning business. I could use help like once a month, but I have one hang-up. They both took smoke breaks while working. They go out to the car, and they use Purelle afterward. I guess I could ask them to use soap and water as a start. I worry about the chemicals they bring into my home, but I really love them otherwise. So I'm stuck. I do allow my FIL in my house of course, and he doesn't even use Purelle. However, this is less than once per month and a loved one, so of course he is welcome. Any thoughts?

I have a 7 year-old and an almost 3 year-old, so no infants.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#2 of 25 Old 08-04-2012, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I couldn't because I choke if I'm around anyone who has smoked recently, even if they washed up. I mean, a few friends come over very rarely who smoke outside, but I'm not paying them.

#3 of 25 Old 08-10-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

I'm still undecided. For now, I'm just trying to keep up with it on my own.

#4 of 25 Old 08-15-2012, 04:52 PM

never

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#5 of 25 Old 08-18-2012, 10:56 PM

No, but if they are that lovable yu have the right to telll them not to smoke when they are in your house. Cigarrette smoke is not a good thing specially for the non-smokers!

Living is great but being a MOM is even better

#6 of 25 Old 08-19-2012, 05:45 AM

Definitely not. No matter how much I liked them.

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

#7 of 25 Old 08-19-2012, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)

Yes, I would.  

As a professional housekeeper, I get to hear all the stories about other housekeepers my clients have tried.  Theft and complete inadequacy are common problems.  If you can find a good one-- reliable, thorough, efficient, honest, straightforward, hardworking, personable-- you've got a keeper.  It's not like she lives there with her smoking habits.

So, absolutely hands down YES!

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#8 of 25 Old 08-19-2012, 11:27 AM

nope because I would smell the smoke after they were gone.

#9 of 25 Old 08-19-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

I agree that it's tough to find a good housekeeper! They do go out to their cars when they smoke. I should have mentioned that, because smoking in my house is a deal-breaker for me. My FIL goes outside, even when we visit his house. I'd be sick if he didn't, but more importantly, I don't want the kids breathing it in. It's more the smoke/chemicals on their hands/clothing that concerns me. My almost 3 year-old is starting a playgroup/preschool class in Sept twice a week. It's only 2 hours, but hopefully it will be enough to let me stay on top of things. I have another lady that comes with a whole lot of drama-- keeps me waiting for hours and just unprofessional.

#10 of 25 Old 08-20-2012, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkksmom View Post

I have another lady that comes with a whole lot of drama-- keeps me waiting for hours and just unprofessional.

There is a lot of that going around.  That's why smoking is so low on the scale of importance for me.  

Not sure about clothes, but her hands are either in gloves to keep them from cracking from cleaners and excess water, or in the water she uses for cleaning.  I use a lot more water when I work than others might because I do more scrubbing.  Still, her hands will be around a towel on one side.  Except for dusting and cleaning underneath, or sheets if she changes them, there is probably very little she will touch of *yours* with her bare, unwashed and smoky hands.  Watch her work.  What does she do, soon after her smoke break?

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#11 of 25 Old 08-22-2012, 12:56 PM
myk

no way. the smoke stench lingers and gives me headaches, asthma attacks, etc.

January 2011
#12 of 25 Old 08-23-2012, 05:57 AM

Yes. After all, they're not smoking in your home. No different than a waitress who takes a smoke break before bringing you your meal, or, a hairdresser who smokes before cutting your hair, in my opinion.
gonyere likes this.
#13 of 25 Old 08-23-2012, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, definitely. I might open a window or something after they left but doubtful because they wouldn't be actually smoking in the house. I'm super conscious about chemicals in my home. My baby (who bed shares over half the time) is in an embarrassingly expensive crib with an embarrassingly expensive chemical free mattress, (same with our mattress and my other ds), I try not to bring anything in the house with harsh chemical (vinyl, some plastics, mdf wood) but wouldn't think twice about having a smoker in my home as long as they weren't smoking and the smell wasn't apparent.
#14 of 25 Old 08-26-2012, 06:51 PM

If I was at a restaurant and could smell smoke on a server I *may* ask for someone else, depending on circumstances on how often she is around & such.  It WOULD influence whether I went back while she was there.

I would stop going to a hairdresser who smells of smoke.

It disgusts me to drive by our local hospital since they started making staff & patients walk out to the sidewalk to smoke.  

#15 of 25 Old 08-27-2012, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post

If I was at a restaurant and could smell smoke on a server I *may* ask for someone else, depending on circumstances on how often she is around & such.  It WOULD influence whether I went back while she was there.

I would stop going to a hairdresser who smells of smoke.

It disgusts me to drive by our local hospital since they started making staff & patients walk out to the sidewalk to smoke.  

This.  My home is a 'smoke free' zone.  Unfortunetly my son has severe asthma and any smoke could send him to the ER.  Having a cleaning lady who chooses to smoke would be unacceptable.  Having a hairdresser or waitstaff who smokes has the same affect on him.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#16 of 25 Old 09-11-2012, 08:59 AM

Very likely not, as there are other reputable places to choose from around here.

#17 of 25 Old 09-11-2012, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'd be willing to at least give it a try, as long as they weren't smoking in or immediately next to the house. I work with people who smoke, often in close quarters, and would never guess that they smoked if they didn't mention it.

Leaving cigarette smell around the house would be a dealbreaker, though.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#18 of 25 Old 11-04-2012, 05:01 PM

my initial response was no. but my brother smokes, but only outdoors... i think if they are outdoor smokers they would not stink much at all (except their breath probably) as opposed to if they smoked inside their home or car and so their hair and clothes smelled of smoke. If they smelled like smoke i would not hire them; if they did not (and i agree about your hand wash rule vs using hand sanitizer only), then i'd be ok with it.

Katie, mommy to Oliver (2007) and brand new Ava Estelle (2014)! 
Decluttering Challenge:  303/2014 items are gone!
$728 made from selling my "stuff"
(I've gotten rid of 3711 items over the last four years on this forum! Last years selling total: $456)
#19 of 25 Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 AM

Never.  Maybe I have a sensitive nose but smokers always smell.  Clothes and breath.

hh2.gif  Help make a family's holiday a little brighter joy.gif

#20 of 25 Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 AM

I'd hire them. Honestly, the cleaners most companies use (not saying these ladies do) would worry me more than having someone who smokes in my house. I wouldn't let them smoke in the house, but I wouldn't have a problem with them, since they smoke outdoors.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#21 of 25 Old 11-09-2012, 10:43 AM

I would hire them as long as they smoked outside and washed their hands thoroughly afterwards. While I don't agree with smoking, I wouldn't discriminate my house cleaner over it.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#22 of 25 Old 12-21-2012, 06:03 PM

I'd be more put-off by the Purell, honestly.

#23 of 25 Old 12-22-2012, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

No because that stuff gets in their clothes and they bring the stink back inside with them and would stink up my house. I'm very sensitive to cig smoke and it triggers an asthma attack, not to mention is just STINKS.

Seriously?
#24 of 25 Old 01-19-2013, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

No.  I have 2 asthmatic children and one is VERY triggered by cigarette smoke, even leftover on clothing.  Last Christmas she spent the day and 2 days following that on her nebulizer recovering from a dress that reeked of cigarette smoke that relatives thought appropriate to make her wear for 2 hours for church.  Her last severe asthma attack that put her on oxygen in the ER at the children's hospital was because of cigarette smoke on a relative's clothing after they had washed their hands and then hugged her.  It's not worth it in my mind.  It's too dangerous for us.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#25 of 25 Old 01-21-2013, 10:12 PM

Probably not for house cleaners. I have dealt with smokey electricians, but dh and I didn't know HOW to do the electric and the saved us from potential death and they were only in our house for one afternoon.  I expect housekeepers come week after week??? Personally, I would prefer to clean up after myself than to smell smoke. Or just smoke ;)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page