Ways to 'green' a regular mattress? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-23-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I had been researching organic, chemical-free mattresses for my daughter but they are SO expensive... We had a near new regular mattress offered to us by a friend and my budget would breathe a huge sigh of relief if i can use it!

Is there an amount of time before the off gassing slows? (it is already a year old) Is it possible to purchase an organic topper of some kind to act as a buffer? Or should i really just bite the bullet and spend the $$$$?
#2 of 3 Old 08-23-2012, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

No regular topper of cover will do anything for off gassing. The whole mattress would have to be encapsulated in something that the gas couldn't get through... And I've read that mattress can off gas for 10 years.

We got a new conventional mattress right before ds was born 11 years ago so he has had maximum exposure to whatever nasties are present:-\

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 3 Old 08-29-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's what I feared.... Some additional research said that if you wrap a mattress in those allergy prevention covers it can help mitigate some of the offgassing, since you mentioned regret on purchasing a conventional mattress already....

Found a mattress at Naturpedic for my little one, a bit more expensive for sure but not too bad compared to a regular mattress. I will try to leave a review on it once it has arrived!

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page