what paint can we use? - Mothering Forums
The Mindful Home > what paint can we use?
fruitfulmomma's Avatar fruitfulmomma 04:39 PM 10-07-2012

My dd is alergic to latex and all  the other paints seem to be highly toxic. Any ideas on what we could use in home for walls?

fruitfulmomma's Avatar fruitfulmomma 04:42 PM 10-07-2012

http://www.milkpaint.com/path_safe.html. Has anyone used this? 

IdentityCrisisMama's Avatar IdentityCrisisMama 04:53 PM 10-07-2012

Milk Paint? 

jgallagher66's Avatar jgallagher66 05:14 PM 10-07-2012
Look into afmsafecoat.com. They have some different options including a plant based zero voc oil paint. We've had good luck with this paint and have a couple of kids with asthma. Maybe they hsve something that would work for you.
~adorkable~'s Avatar ~adorkable~ 05:25 PM 10-07-2012

can i ask how the allergy reacts to the paint in various stages? is it just when wet? the fumes? how long would some sort of off gassing happen for? 

cause i have never heard of folks that were allergic to latex having to be careful around painted walls.  i worked in a field that used latex gloves a lot and had 2 folks work for me that had developed pretty bad allergies over many years of exposure, so i heard them talk about it a lot and i did remove latex from our shop completely for them.  but we remodeled at one point and painted everything and they never seemed to have any issues with it. (they did not do the painting, but were in the shop just a few days later)

IdentityCrisisMama's Avatar IdentityCrisisMama 05:30 PM 10-07-2012

We cross posted FM - yes, milk paint is beautiful. Lovely colors and a really earthy finish. 

fruitfulmomma's Avatar fruitfulmomma 05:51 PM 10-07-2012

Thanks Idenity and jgall. 

Adorkable, I am really not sure. She has lots of issues and cross reacts very badly with avocado, banana, pineapple, etc... even though no detectable allergy to those. She reacted to latex on my husbands clothes when he was doing plumbing work and they used it on piping. Most likely she would be fine, but I can't afford to have to pull it all down and start over if it is a problem and with all her issues I'd like her living space as clean as possible.

Basylica's Avatar Basylica 03:45 PM 10-08-2012

http://allergies.about.com/od/medicationallergies/f/latexpaint.htm

seems that latex paint shouldn't cause issues with latex sensitive folks....atleast according to mayo etc. I'd still keep kiddo out of the house until dry and paint smell has gone if you go this route.

I was thinking of the new chalk paint line, but I believe thats latex as well.

It's a PITA, but what about wall paper? there is a reason why victorians loved it so much....they were cleaning fanatics back then :)

~adorkable~'s Avatar ~adorkable~ 07:28 AM 10-09-2012

i have heard something about the glues they use in wallpapers, dont quote me on it just look it up, not sure what it was about. maybe off gassing timeframe

Basylica's Avatar Basylica 07:53 AM 10-09-2012

technically you can go really old school and just do flour paste for wallpaper :)

I think the offgassing is for the crazy vinyl type papers. the paintable/washable that was all the rage in the 80s. GAG...

and from someone who has hideous WP applied directly to drywall with no sizing (ie, near impossible to remove) and whose mom spent hours and hours and hourse removing hideous WP from her house....suggesting WP is pretty amusing.

You'd have to go kinda old school and get actual PAPER...vs the washable/wipable hybrids they started pushing in the 80s....

JamieCatheryn's Avatar JamieCatheryn 08:03 AM 10-09-2012

I love the idea of casein paint or clay alis if you can make that work.

dgnndw's Avatar dgnndw 07:29 AM 10-31-2012

Milk paint is an environmentally friendly paint that is ideal for antique furniture, decks, floors and walls. You can mix milk paint with pigment powders to create just about any color you can imagine. And, the Real Milk Paint Company does not stop there. We also offer milk paint remover , crackle , tung oil , Citrus Solvent (a natural replacement for mineral spirits and paint thinner) and a host of other earth friendly products .http://www.treathemorrhoidsguide.com/

Tags: Mindful Home
Up