Would you sleep in the attic? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-14-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would you move your bedroom and the only tv to a mostly unfinished attic to improve the usefulness of your home?

We have a walk up attic that is insulated and has some drywall up but is mostly unfinished.We do currently use the attic as an art space and storage.

If I moved my bedroom to the attic we could then have an office/school room.This could get the computer out of my small living room and the school books and constant projects out of my small dining room.It would also cut down on the back and forth with all my daughter's supplies since we keep most of her art supplies in the attic but do a lot of her projects in the dining room.Also I currently have a very small bedroom(about 9x8)with no closet.The attic would give me a lot more room although it sure wouldn't be pretty.

My bedroom also houses the only tv we have.We don't watch a whole lot of tv but sometimes.So that would also need to happen in the attic.

The attic is warm enough in the winter without any extra heating.In the summer though it is unbearably hot so I would have to run an air conditioner if not two.

So,ugly,HOT,dirty,attic bedroom in exchange for a more useful home?yay or nay?

#2 of 14 Old 10-14-2012, 01:27 PM

I personally would not choose the partially finished attic as my bedroom.

We have a finished attic that we use but not for a bedroom. It is a large space and isn't ugly but it is also unheated and unairconditioned. It gets very hot in summer. Dh has a computer, books and all his game/hobby stuff spread out up there.

You can not really hear stuff from the lower levels like the phone ringing or someone knocking on the front door up there so it is good for dh studying. It would be a long way to haul things like full laundry baskets (3 flights of stairs to the basement laundry area) and the attic stairs are narrow. There is no bathroom up there.

Why don't you turn the attic into your computer/art/school room?

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#3 of 14 Old 10-14-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post

I personally would not choose the partially finished attic as my bedroom.
We have a finished attic that we use but not for a bedroom. It is a large space and isn't ugly but it is also unheated and unairconditioned. It gets very hot in summer. Dh has a computer, books and all his game/hobby stuff spread out up there.
You can not really hear stuff from the lower levels like the phone ringing or someone knocking on the front door up there so it is good for dh studying. It would be a long way to haul things like full laundry baskets (3 flights of stairs to the basement laundry area) and the attic stairs are narrow. There is no bathroom up there.

Why don't you turn the attic into your computer/art/school room?

Thanks for your reply.

I hadn't thought about the laundry.Although the staircase is a full wide staircase and the bulk of my laundry comes from my daughter and towels which would still be on the main floor.But still something to think about.

Fortunately I can hear stuff like the door from up there and already have a phone plugged in.

The original plan was to have the attic be the school room but really what happens is we end up bringing things downstairs to the dining room instead of going upstairs.Maybe I will try to get us in the habit of working upstairs more first and see how it goes.

But unfortunately my husband wouldn't want the computer upstairs.It's not the worst thing to have the computer in the living room but I just feel like we are cluttered with furniture that I can't get rid of.

#4 of 14 Old 10-18-2012, 06:56 AM

EDIT:

I just re-read it and saw that it IS insulated. So yeah, I would do it and I would have a goal of getting the rest of the drywall up as you could afford it.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#5 of 14 Old 10-18-2012, 06:25 PM

Yep, Id do it. But I've also had my bedroom in the kitchen to improve functionality of my home :)

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 14 Old 10-18-2012, 07:43 PM

My DH's family in Romania has beds in all rooms of the house except the bathroom. They have 4 rooms with beds and there used to be a total of 8 kids and only 3 rooms until they added on. I lived there for a few months and it made me realize that Americans set their standards too high now.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#7 of 14 Old 10-19-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

My DH's family in Romania has beds in all rooms of the house except the bathroom. They have 4 rooms with beds and there used to be a total of 8 kids and only 3 rooms until they added on. I lived there for a few months and it made me realize that Americans set their standards too high now.

If I had 8 kids we would use the attic and any other areas for sleeping!

I grew up living as an American family of 5 in a 1 bedroom apartment. The only places people weren't sleeping was the kitchen or bathroom. I wouldn't live that cramped again if I didn't have to.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#8 of 14 Old 10-19-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

As a teen I lived in rural Ireland, and it was pretty much the norm for a family to have around 8 kids (sometimes 12 or more) in a three bedroom house. Every time I see threads on MDC wondering if it will scar a kid for life to share a bedroom I mentally roll my eyes.

#9 of 14 Old 10-19-2012, 07:38 AM

Growing up we had 4 kids in a one bedroom house. My parents took the bedroom downstairs and all 4 kids slept in the attic (it was finished though).

But it didn't have electricity up there, so we ran an extension cord up from the kitchen.

It didn't have air, but we would all sleep on the floor with a couple box fans by us.  It was heated fine in the winter.

Would you be able to finish the attic? At least get the rest of the drywall up there? It just seems like alot of wasted space to not use as living space.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#10 of 14 Old 10-19-2012, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Only if I could afford to "finish" the space properly. My hubby has dust issues and unfinished walls would be a huge burden on breathing well at night.
#11 of 14 Old 12-14-2012, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

yes. It doesn't sound like an unmanageable "burden" for the advantages it would get you.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#12 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 03:05 PM

Yes, I would if it would improve my living space. Without hesitation.
#13 of 14 Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 PM

Half of our house is technically attic. It has been converted into 2 bedrooms. It's great in the winter -- stays warm without needing heat -- but does need A/C in the summer. I have no issues with it as long as it's accessible... in other words, I probably wouldn't choose to sleep in an attic with a pull-down ladder or something, but as long as it has a regular staircase, why not?

The one thing I would be concerned about is the exposed insulation... if it's fiberglass insulation, it can cause itchiness if you brush up against it. And usually when working with insulation you wear a mask so I'd be reluctant to sleep in a room with lots of exposed insulation that might get disturbed through daily use. I'd at least throw some drywall up, even if you can't plaster & paint it right away.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#14 of 14 Old 01-06-2013, 12:27 PM

I would just be worried about having two ways to exit. The reason why is in case of fire, you want to make sure there are two ways to get out -- and for firefighters to know where to look for people. That's why when trying to sell a house, (at least in most places in the US) it only counts as a bedroom if there are two ways to get out of the room (ie, large window and door, two doors) No one ever "plans" for a fire to break out in a house, but you want to make sure you have a way to get out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page