How do larger families survive on one income? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-29-2012, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am interested to know how larger families can afford to live on one income?

We currently have two beautiful children and are on a low income. The economy here in NZ is hideous and living is hugely expensive. Well over 2/3's of dh's weekly salary goes to renting our home.

But I do not want our current financial situation to dictate our family size, as i know in a few years time we will not be in this situation.

#2 of 4 Old 11-29-2012, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

At the moment we are living rent-free in a home owned by my mil. Hoping my husbands business takes off so that we can buy or build a bigger one. 

Hoping to put in a garden to cut down on grocery cost.

Also starting a business of some sort with my kids so that we are not one income anymore.

#3 of 4 Old 11-29-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

It's just bordering summer here in nz, not sure if I have missed the boat or not on putting vege seedlings in the garden. I will look into it as we are going through atleast 3 brocilli a week at the moment.

Rent free must be such a blessing. Christmas is completely stressing me out. Its also very upsetting. Knowing some people have nothing and know one and we are being given things we just don't need or have the space for.

#4 of 4 Old 12-04-2012, 11:33 AM

We are in the same boat. We live in a high cost of living area. We have one stable income with good benefits. We feel strongly about having a SAHP. So we live in a small home, and have one good and one very old car. I shop Costco for some staples and a bulk co-op for many things. The rest I get at Trader joe's and just a little at the health food store. It is public school and preschool co-ops for our kids. I try to steer family, who is generous for children's things, into practical gifts. I shop only second hand and good sales for clothing. We fix things, build things and grow things ourselves.
I really like this way of life. I don't limit my family size based on our income because really I don't think we make so little that it is beyond being practical. And we won't ever make so much that fewer kids would each get something really worthwhile, like a stellar private education or I don't even know.
I do think that one can get bent out of shape when clinging too strongly to ideals. Like my family will be just fine eating non-organic beans and rice in their burritos. And Waldorf really started to freak me out the more I got to know about the school near us. Public will be fine.
So, I guess my answer is with a little ingenuity and relaxing of ideals, a one earner family can work just fine (and you get to stay home with your kids- priceless when desired)!

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page