When you don't have time to make them (cleaning/body products) what are the best natural brands to use? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-24-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been making my own cleaning products, deodorant, hand sanitizer etc, but was wondering today what I would use in the case that I cannot make them at some point. Or do not have time or just don't want to...

I know of some brands but thought it would be nice to hear from others about what they use? I am into basically anything that has very few ingredients, is safe and preferably made with some essential oils.

Also, I am certain that the possibility that this information has been shared in previous threads exists, but I was short on time and wanted to post before I completely forgot about this issue. Thanks! wink1.gif

Mom to DS1 (6-25-00), DS2 (3-16-12) and DS3 (2-20-14) Wife to DH (2-14-09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-30-2013, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)

I have always turned to Dr Bronner's if I must buy cleaners. It's widely available, has several formulas to choose from including unscented, offers bar and liquid soaps, is ecologically acceptable, and isn't terribly expensive. I make bar soap but not liquid soap, so I usually have some liquid Bronner's in the house. I used to use it a lot but I prefer my own soap. However, when I did use it I found it to be very concentrated, so keep that in mind if you are washing a person or pet with it.

Oh, they also now make a detergent, Sal-Suds, but I've never used it. I use vodka and essential oils for that type of cleaning (floors, countertops, glass). I put the vodka in a squirt bottle and the essential oil in the regular glass dropper bottle, I don't premix them.

#3 of 4 Old 01-31-2013, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dr Bronner's is great, I've found, for almost everything EXCEPT as a body wash and a dishwashing liquid...

PumaBearclan, could you explain the vodka + essential oil method in a little more detail? I'm intrigued!

#4 of 4 Old 01-31-2013, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)

Hello GlassesGirl,

I have saved squirt bottles that produce a fine stream: such as contact lens bottles and some dishwashing detergent bottles. Of course you can buy bottles that produce a fine stream. I fill them with straight vodka (cheapest brand). I keep a glass bottle of essential oil with the vodka, the typical bottle with a reducer or pipette. For cleaning glass and countertops I dampen a rag with water, then squirt on about 2 tablespoons of vodka, and put on a few drops of essential oil. This is also useful to freshen a bathroom. To clean floors I use a washable cloth mop and do the same: wet the mop head, generous vodka, many drops essential oil.

This isn't a replacement for hot water & soap, just useful for in between cleaning.

You can't use vodka or essential oils on unsealed wood nor on paint. I don't know about stone. It's fine on ceramic, plastic/vinyl, and well-sealed wood.

I found that rosemary is awfully strong on wood floors. Same with parsley seed. Some essential oils are too caustic for the wood varnishes and makes the floor look dull. I use lavender and mint mostly; my rule is that if it tend to be too strong for skin its too strong for wood. I also choose clear oils in case it comes in contact with grout or caulk. Also oils that are not terribly expensive.

You can use only vodka for cleaning but I've found that using a little oil too cleans better.

Tags
Mindful Home

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page