Mothering Forum banner

What are your favorite green cleaning products?

3K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  tenshi 
#1 ·
I've made my own, and I've bought stuff by 7th Generation, BioKleen, Ecover, Dr. Bronners, and Mrs. Meyers.

I like 7th Generation dish soap, and I like Mrs. Meyers for cleaning counters and that kind of thing. I feel like they work better than homemade stuff, but maybe that's just because there is a scent involved and so it smells clean to me when it's done.

What experiences do you have? Do you have any favorite recipes for green cleaning products?

#4 ·
Vinegar is definitely my favorite. I'm not totally sure if rubbing alcohol counts as green, but my all-purpose cleaner is a mix of water, rubbing alcohol, and vinegar (equal parts)- works great. I even use it as a floor wash (I've found that I prefer spraying the floor rather than using a bucket). You can add essential oils to it as well, I just can't figure out where to get any. It cleans the dishwasher and removes cigarette smoke. I used half vinegar/half water to clean bottles and also to soak the Lact-Aid. Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is also great for your body- internally and externally- but white vinegar is way cheaper and works great as a household cleaner.

We used baking soda for hard water, but now don't have that problem. I don't know why I don't love it as much but I don't. (also, random note, but be really careful using baking soda on your hair)

I've seen sites that insist that basically all you need to clean 99% of household messes are vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, hot water, and elbow grease- I can believe that.

#5 · (Edited)
Vinegar and baking soda. Perfect natural cleaning combination. The local cleaning maids here in LA taught me this neat trick.

1/2 cup baking soda plus 1/2 cup vinegar. Put the baking soda into the drain first then the the vinegar. I like how this create a bubble which means its working . Add 2 quarts of hot water then there you go. A clean, working drain. Works all the time!

For cleaning garage doors, pour 1/4 cup natural dish soap with 1/4 cup baking soda and 4 to 5 drops of clove essential oil in the bucket, then fill it up with water from the hose. Wet the rag and wash the garage door just like you would with a car. Wipe with a damp cloth and finish with a dry cloth.

For pre-painted garage doors, you can apply an all natural car wax to the exterior to help protect it from outside elements.

Mrs. Kohls
Bell Garage Doors Repair in Los Angeles, CA
"I didn't feel that running away would change anything but when the roof of the garage started coming off I thought it was time to go." - John Harrison

#8 ·
I've gone back and forth a few times too between cleaning products and a few brand names. I have settled on the following a combination of Dr. Bronners Sal Suds and Bon Ami.

For the Sal Suds I have used it in the dishwasher, my washing machine, as a toilet cleaner, and as an all purpose spray/mopping solution/glass cleaner diluted. Even my totally non-crunchy BF hasn't complained. It works well in everything though I also usually add a little tea tree oil to the diluted versions. I found it worked better as a cleaner than the Dr Bronner castille soaps. I live on a busy street and get a lot of soot. The regular soap attracted too much of the soot and dust unless I went back over everything with vinegar. I don't have that issue with the sal suds. It also has a mild pine scent.

I also use Bon Ami which is about $1 - so close to the cost of baking soda. The ingredients are very simple and it gets an A rating in the skin deep database. I prefer it over baking soda because I feel it does a better scouring job on difficult build up than baking soda and the price is reasonable. I will use baking soda as a backup if I run out but I have to scrub a lot more. I use this on my stainless, sinks, range, and shower glass doors (seems to remove the hard water buildup pretty well).

#11 ·
Thieves All Purpose Cleaner from Young Living. It's all you will need to clean everything in your house. Not only does it kill germs and viruses that live on surfaces, it boosts immune system too. You don't even need a lot of elbow grease either. And it's chemical free.

#12 ·
I just can't jump on the vinegar/baking soda band wagon.

All-purpose spray - water and a good few squirts of liquid dish soap. I add a dropperful or two of essential oil - I love orange and my homemade thieves oil. Caveat - add the water FIRST :) This cleaner also does glass. If I really want to disinfect, then I'll add some colloidal silver or grapefruit seed extract and use on counter tops, doorknobs, toilet, light switches and bathroom in general.

Heavy duty toilet cling - Bleach mixed with dish soap or shampoo and a bit of water. Yeah, it's bleach, sometimes you need bleach.

Fruit and veggie wash - vinegar, water and grapefruit extract in a pump bottle

Fabric softener - essential oil dabbed on a rag and thrown in with the dryer load.

Scouring powder - Bon Ami all the way. Nothing else comes close.

Homemade poo-pouri - just water and essential oils in a dropper or spritzer

Room freshener - essential oils mixed with water and put in a spray bottle

Carpet deodorizer - baking soda and essential oils. Fill a mason jar with mixture, shake up (with lid ON), then replace lid with another lid with holes poked in it (I poke the holes with a screw driver)

Dishwasher detergent - baking soda in the detergent compartment, a light squirt of dishsoap and about 10 drops of orange essential oil. It works, no problem with over-sudsing..

#13 ·
Does anyone knows any green cleaning tip or product for outdoor furnitures? Weve been using creamy formulas that has ingredients we all know are not really eco friendly. And dishwasher detergents and sometimes laundry detergents are more harmful and has caustic formulas made for skin contact.

I cant use lemon or baking soda or anything acidic as the sun or the extreme weather cause the furnitures to warp.

Nicolae
Mother of 2 adorable kids.
from Nicks furniture upholstery service here in Chicago
"Wood surfaces are very rough, thanks for medium-grit sandpapers!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.