Organic Mattress - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-23-2013, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi Ladies,

I recently started researching mattresses and my head is spinning! I would love to know your thoughts and experiences regarding organic vs. conventional mattresses. There aren't many stores in my area that carry organic mattresses to see in person and I've read about not purchasing a mattress unless seeing it in person first? How about IKEA (in the U.S.)? Any recommendation for a reasonably priced organic mattress?

Thanks so much in advance! smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 03-23-2013, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

i know totally overwhelming. does ikea sell organic beds? i think i remember seeing some latex beds....it's good to know what type of latex it is.

we cosleep still but our bed arrangement is crazy. we have two queens pushed together on the floor. one on a box spring and the other on memory foam(we cannot seem to get rid of it. bedding is expensive)anyway, on top of each base we have two 2" latex(dunlap) and a wool topper. we are trying to have natural bedding and it is so expensive. we ordered the latex on amazon. each cost about $300 and the wool toppers were about $500 from a local organic mattress place here. we bought everything at different times. we'd like to get rid of the memory foam base but...like everyone else,money is tight.

#3 of 15 Old 03-25-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Tracy,

You're right, IKEA has the latex mattresses. I've read about their sultan line but don't think it's organic per say.

Sounds like you figured out a good arrangement. You said it perfectly, money is tight here too. That's why I'm so bummed at the cost of organic mattreses. It's so out of reach right now. greensad.gif It's really sad, you'd think that the things that are better for you such as these mattresses or organic food (or anything else natural in fact!) would be within reach but it's just the opposite. Hope in time things changes and prices for what's best goes down.

Thanks for your reply.

Faith

#4 of 15 Old 03-30-2013, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have the IKEA one.

It isn't organic per say. But it is made of natural ingredients without flame retardants, etc.

That was good enough for us. We didn't want the flame retardants and all of the other chemicals most of all.

We couldn't afford a couple of thousand dollars for a mattress.

We bought one for us, one for our daughter, and will buy for our other kids when they grow into having their own beds.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50180664/

Edited to add, it is quite firm. We like that, but others may not. And the mattresses are quite thick also.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#5 of 15 Old 04-03-2013, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! smile.gif

#6 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 03:48 PM

As far as I know, not all of the IKEA latex mattresses are natural. I think the majority are primarily synthetic latex. There is one in the Sultan line that has natural latex and, I believe, natural fibers. I think they still use flame retardants, but they use a different chemical that's a little less toxic than conventional mattresses. Double check with them to be sure.

It is incredibly frustrating to find healthier options for mattresses. I have been trying to get my son a mattress for about 3 or 4 years now, but we have never been able to afford it. Even some of the cheaper options (around $600 for a twin) are way out of our price range. I can't stand it.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#7 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post

As far as I know, not all of the IKEA latex mattresses are natural. I think the majority are primarily synthetic latex. There is one in the Sultan line that has natural latex and, I believe, natural fibers. I think they still use flame retardants, but they use a different chemical that's a little less toxic than conventional mattresses. Double check with them to be sure.

It is incredibly frustrating to find healthier options for mattresses. I have been trying to get my son a mattress for about 3 or 4 years now, but we have never been able to afford it. Even some of the cheaper options (around $600 for a twin) are way out of our price range. I can't stand it.

Thanks for your post. I was actually wondering that about IKEA. I read somewhere that their mattresses that are sold in Canada do not contain the fire retardants in them whereas the ones sold in the U.S. do. Will definitely check with them about this.

You said it perfectly and that's EXACTLY how I feel, truly frustrated. You'd think something that is healthier should be somewhat within reach. :-(  Have you heard of Sopora by the way? It's a new line I was recently told about. Not organic per say but they don't use fire retardants and are GreenGuard certified. Besides crib mattresses they also sell twin and full size mattresses.

#8 of 15 Old 04-06-2013, 06:59 PM

I've been following mattress threads on here for a couple of years now trying to come up with a solution. If you find anything out about Ikea, please update. I was considering their natural latex one.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#9 of 15 Old 04-06-2013, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkksmom View Post

I've been following mattress threads on here for a couple of years now trying to come up with a solution. If you find anything out about Ikea, please update. I was considering their natural latex one.

Will do! smile.gif

#10 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 12:09 PM

I have heard about using polyethylene to block off-gassing. Not sure how I feel about it, though theoretically it should work. I am now looking into it for a crib mattress, because I can't decide if I wanna buy a Naturepedic crib mattress or not. BTW, they may make adult mattresses (too tired to check, haha). Here is the rundown on polyethylene: http://www.healthychild.com/prevent-toxic-off-gassing-when-you-cant-afford-to-buy-an-organic-mattress/    Polyethylene isn't really a "plastic" per se, because it contains no plasticizers or phthalates.  Here is a site that actually sells something, can't vouch for it: http://www.offgassing-mattress-wraps.com/mattress-wraps.htm

Certain flame retardants were banned for use in mattresses and couches after...2005, I believe. So to be safe, I tell myself 2006. Check with Wiki page on Brominated Flame Retardants. There are still bad ones being used, but the good news is, the ones that are legal now don't *accumulate* in your body with no way of getting out. The old ones would bond up with the fat in your body, and only really be excreted through....breastmilk! Because it's fatty. The new ones are similar chemicals, or new chemicals, depending, but don't bond to fat like that. So in my mind, I'm just peeing it out, so it's not "as" bad. The old flame retardants are still in the environment, so you get them by eating fatty foods like chicken skin, butter, etc. They go up the food chain of animals through fat.

So anyways, my conventional mattress was (luckily) purchased after the law changed (law stated nothing could be sold in U.S. using the worst one, I believe it is pentaDBE), so I don't worry too much. I am careful not to buy used furniture, like old couches. It's in the foam.

So my thoughts are, for me, my regular but newer mattress is good enough. But, I avoid "memory foam" or any foam, because it smells really bad to me. So with my latest mattress for another room, I went to Sears and told them to show me the ones with a very simple top, not even a tiny amount of foam on the top (which many of the basic spring mattresses do nowadays). Normally the pricier the mattress store, the more of them are really padded with these weird foams/features over the springs. So avoid anything that says "plush top" because it could be memory foam. Mine, of course, has SOMETHING between me and the springs, a quilted stitching, but I think it's just batting under there, no FOAM. The Sears people knew exactly what I was asking, and showed me the ONE mattress they had, that wasn't a kids cot mattress, that didn't have a foam top. I think it is the Serta Karlie Firm. I think another name for this is "tight top," because I have seen this in ads for cheaper mattresses (plush vs tight top) but I'm not sure. I think tight top is not as popular, so harder to find unless you go to cheapie mattress stores. It's kinda like cast iron cookware....going out of favor with buyers! Another added bonus, is that the foams break down over time and causes divets, even if it's just a small layer of foam, so you are better off without foam anyways. The only smell I noticed from this bed after about a week, and I am super sensitive to smells, was that the box spring smelled, and I finally figured out....I'm 98% sure it's the pine itself, offgassing it's terpines (pine does that). Not saying no smell=no chemicals, but at least there are no weird smelly VOC's like from paint/carpet....or VOC's from memory foam.

I spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff. At a certain point, I give up and just trust my nose and my intuition. However, the penta DBE or whatever, you can't smell.....you just gotta figure out if it's pre- or post-2005. I don't worry too much about organic cotton.

About Ikea, the U.S. has caught up with SOME Euro standards, like banning that bad flame retardant. I don't think, now (as opposed to pre-2005), you are getting anything better by going Ikea, but I could be wrong. I was sad to see that Ikea still does use formaldehyde in the "wooden" type furniture, but I think it meets better standards than the U.S. standards for that chemical. I went to Ikea to look for nursery stuff, and was bummed that a lot of it wasn't that "green." I am okay with MY conventional mattress, but for my baby on the way and buying a crib mattress, I will try to do better, mostly because it'll be NEW so to me, the first few months of a new product are the most risky while it off-gasses. If I was co-sleeping, I don't think I would worry, because my mattress has had some time to off-gas and it's post-2005 like I said.

Oh, with mattress pads to protect the mattress for my new guest bed, I bought one at Target---the simple store brand one (called Up and Up?) they have that is labelled WATERPROOF, and I noticed they use polyethylene, as opposed to most that use vinyl/PVC. So I bought it. The difference is that this won't prevent all off-gassing, because it just covers the top, not a 360 cover. But if you are looking for a mattress pad, I'd recommend that one. I was excited to find it. I was hoping they sell crib mattress pads of the same brand, but they don't, and all the cirb ones are labelled as vinyl!

#11 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Bobcat- I've been wondering that about IKEA mattresses and furniture as well. I've been hearing mixed reviews about whether or not they use flame retardants. I've been meaning to contact them to find out but haven't had a chance to yet. Thanks for all of your information and for the links. The Healthy Child link was either moved or removed. The other link was informative, it's nice to see a mattress cover reasonably priced! Love the Target info! In fact planning a trip there tomorrow and am going to pick one up!

Interesting to know that they still make 'regular' spring mattresses. It seems all they advertise or show these days are either memory foam or pillow top mattresses. Wondering if it's just a matter of time if they stop making them all together. At least there is a choice. You're right, Naturepedic does sell adult mattresses as well. Not sure if you saw my thread asking about Sopora mattresses.They make crib, twin and full size mattresses. Just an FYI, it's a new company that seems to be in between organic and conventional. It's not organic per say but they don't use fire retardants and supposidely use safer materials. They're both GreenGuard and CertiPur certified.

Thanks again for your reply and for all your tips. I appreciate it. Congratulations on your upcoming bundle of joy!

Faith

#12 of 15 Old 04-12-2013, 11:56 AM

I vaguely recall hearing that ikea couches used the flame retardant tris, but not sure about their mattresses. If they use boric acid by chance, I read on this forum that that is safe. I will Check out those mattresses u mentioned, thanks!
#13 of 15 Old 04-12-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post

I vaguely recall hearing that ikea couches used the flame retardant tris, but not sure about their mattresses. If they use boric acid by chance, I read on this forum that that is safe. I will Check out those mattresses u mentioned, thanks!

Thanks for the additional info! smile.gif

#14 of 15 Old 04-14-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. smile.gif

#15 of 15 Old 04-24-2013, 02:05 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

I just read an article about the Ikea mattresses being treated with boric acid/sodium borate (Borax), which is pretty toxic http://www.ewg.org/guides/substances/5495  But since it's a naturally occuring substance then they get away with saying it's a natural flame retardant.  UGH, like everyone else has said, SO FRUSTRATING!  If anyone has any advice on an organic bed even if it's a little more costly please let me know!  We are really needing a new bed, so my thought is we may as well spend the extra and get an organic one, but we dont have THAT much extra!

Tags
Mindful Home

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page