Spring Cleaning - how do you do it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-01-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

For me, every spring, I do three main things.

1. Declutter. I go thorough drawers, closets, shelves, and anywhere else and decide if we still need something, or if it can be donated/sold on craigslist/whatever. We have a small house and accumulate too much stuff. Also, I think it is much much easier to keep a house clean when you don't have too much stuff.

2. I move everything. I get underneath furniture I haven't cleaned under and behind.

3. Deep cleaning that doesn't need to be done all the time. Things like oven cleaning (which is hard to do in an eco-friendly manner and takes a huge amount of elbow grease. I'd love to know what other people do as far as that goes), cleaning light fixtures, windows (including outside), etc.

I'm always surprised when the sun really comes out what I see that I didn't see during the winter. I find dirty marks on walls and other dirt  that I hadn't seen before.

The good thing about having a small house is that it doesn't take huge amounts of time to do this kind of work.

What do you do as far as spring cleaning goes?

#2 of 5 Old 04-02-2013, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

One thing I'm going to try to do this year in addition to all the things you listed is sprinkle the mattresses with baking soda, let it sit, and vacuum them.  It's something I've been seeing around Pinterest, but it makes sense to me.

(I will say, there's a big difference between what I want to do every spring and what actually gets done...)

ETA:  The other thing I have planned is decluttering the freezer and make plans to use up what's in there so we can add new things and make room for freezer meals I want to stock up on before August.

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#3 of 5 Old 04-02-2013, 11:04 AM

I move about every 2-3 yrs so somethings come easier than others. Easy to do a deep cleaning when the house is empty.

For the oven, you can buy trays/mats to put on the bottom to keep it clean. I use steel wool for the racks

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 5 Old 04-02-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

@GISDiva Baking soda is great for a lot of things!

@chel I saw a mat at one point somewhere but didn't get it and have regretted  it.

#5 of 5 Old 04-18-2013, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISDiva View Post

ETA:  The other thing I have planned is decluttering the freezer and make plans to use up what's in there so we can add new things and make room for freezer meals I want to stock up on before August.

Well, that got crossed off the list.  Our compressor went on our refrigerator and I had to toss a lot of stuff.  Silver lining?  irked.gif

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page