Need suggestions for natural crib mattress or cover/wrap.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-11-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone. I am buying a crib/toddler mattress for our new baby on the way. I like the Naturepedic brand because it is waterproof (they use polyethylene, not vinyl to cover the mattress). But boy are they expensive. So I'm looking at other options too...perhaps a similar natural mattress, natural meaning no flame retardants and no vinyl (naturepedic meets flammability standards but doesn't actually use chemicals). And I'd like it to be waterproof, unless someone talks me out of it. Because I don't like the idea of any funguses or bacteria breeding in there, esp if it gets moist. I know there are separate waterproof covers, but still.

But then I figure, if it's wrapped in polyethylene anyways to waterproof it, wouldn't that form a vapor barrier, and I wouldn't even need something that is non-toxic on the inside?

What are you all's thoughts/suggestions on the baby/toddler mattress topic?

I don't feel I need something that's 100% natural materials, as long as there are no harmful materials and harmful chemicals (which is what's in most conventional crib mattresses out there). Having a hard time "pulling the trigger" on the Naturepedic though.

Then if I do, I still need to cover it with a mattress topper, because the waterproof material will cause the baby to sweat.....so I'd be interested in any lower cost but natural/organic mattress toppers. Thanks!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 05-19-2013, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I like wool because it is naturally flame retardant and has all the anti-bacterial properties. If peed on,one has to do is put it out in the sun and it's cleansed..no smell

Tags
Mindful Home

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page