Earth Day Giveaway: Enter to Win a Special Earth Inspired Collection from Barefoot Books!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We used cloth diapers when our kids were babies and we encourage our kids to recycle and pick up litter.
#62 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 12:46 PM

Shared on Facebook
#63 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 12:50 PM

We compost, recycle, make our own laundry soap, and use cloth napkins. A big change from my own childhood and well worth the shift!
#64 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 12:58 PM

We had a garden and grew up in the country ... mom also used cloth diapers - but only because I picked the disposables apart, not because she was "green". :) 

I nursed my kids, used cloth diapers, we grow a lot of our food. We use family cloth and cloth shopping bags. We use glass jars for food storage instead of plastic. Most of this has been so incorporated into our lives that we don't really think of it as "being green". It is just what we do! :)

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#65 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 01:08 PM

I also make my own washing detergent so I know what is in there - borax, bicarb of soda, grated castile soap. My daughter also helps to plant up the veggie garden, weed and has her own flower bed!

#66 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 01:17 PM

We garden, eat organic, whole foods and practice elimination communication—so no disposable diapers and far fewer cloth diapers to wash!
#67 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 01:20 PM

We recycle so much more than we ever did. When it comes to cleaning we make our own sprays for dusting and also sprays for making a room smell good by using essential oils. 

#68 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 01:22 PM

We eat mostly organic & local foods, use cloth diapers, I make my own cleaning products with vinegar, baking soda & essential oils & try to use as few plastics as possible.

#69 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM

I'm not on Facebook, so I took a look at the books. I'd really like to get The Beekeeper.
We're looking to buy a house, and bees are one thing I'd like to raise. We love honey & buy locally.

2 things we do as a family that I didn't really do growing up are eating as much organic as possible (we grow a veggie garden every year & have added a few fruit trees this yr) & recycling. I'd also like to try cloth diapers when this baby comes. I don't really know much about them, & DH made the "are you freakin serious" face when I mentioned trying it, lol. But when I brought up the savings in the long run he said ok. I guess I've got some research to do here In the next few months.

SAHM to DS (16), DD (13), DD (3) & a bun in the oven due 10/11/13 

chicken3.gif

#70 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 01:27 PM

We use natural cleaners and cloth hand towels/napkins rather than paper products.

#71 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 01:28 PM

And I totally got the Planeteer reference....Captain Planet was awesome.
"Captain Planet, he's our hero...." LoL

SAHM to DS (16), DD (13), DD (3) & a bun in the oven due 10/11/13 

chicken3.gif

#72 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 01:34 PM

I liked both on facebook. I have never heard of these books...I am off to peruse!

#73 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 01:38 PM

We make our own cleaners and don't use paper towels anymore.
#74 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 01:39 PM

As a child, we ate processed food and white bread and lots and lots of candies. 

I eat and prepare whole food, much of it organic and I don't feed my son sweets, except natural ones.

My son slept in my bed till he was two-years-old and now at two years seven months  I'm still nursing him, whereas my Mom breastfed me three months (and smoked throughout that time!) But like my mom, I am teaching my son to love and appreciate books. I've been reading to him since we got home from the hospital. I hope I get to share with him more books from Barefoot!

#75 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 01:45 PM

What im doing differently then when I was raised as a kid is being immersed in nature. We take the boys geocaching and letter boxing for exercise. Go on hikes, nature walks and now planting our own herb garden. my family really didnt do any outdoor stuff growing up!
#76 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 01:46 PM

Liked and shared the giveaway on Facebook!
#77 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 01:55 PM

As a child we did nothing environmentally responsible.  Now I'm in school working on my master's degree in Sustainable Food Systems, I work on a non-certified organic farm, I'm getting my IIN certification, we eat whole foods, recycle, cloth diaper, have a garden and homeschool our kids using nature as the foundation of our curriculum.  Funny, it didn't seem like I was doing that much til I wrote it down.  Every little bit counts!! 

#78 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 02:10 PM

Cloth diapers for my son and twin girls (though we decided to use eco disposables at night); homemade lotion/diaper cream; and vinegar and water steeping orange peels to use as a house cleaner.
#79 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 02:21 PM

Growing up my family did nothing natural minded! Now my husband and I plant a garden, try to eat from local farmers and eat organic foods. We teach our daughters the importance of living more naturally and how to. We’ve had our two girls at home unassisted and our expecting our third child in July. We have our own business encapsulating placentas for mothers and homeschool our children. We use herbs and homeopathics for our health along with good diet and exercise. We’re trying to get back to basics and simplify our lives.

#80 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 03:03 PM

We recycle and reuse whatever possible. I've long been collecting plastic bottle caps, which are supposedly not recyclable in the community recycle pick-up, and handing them over to Aveda who collects them for producing their packaging.
#81 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 03:17 PM

We eat organic, whole foods - prepared traditionally, fermented foods, broths, and all! I use more cloth than my mom ever dreamed of, make my own cleaning and beauty products, and am all about alternative health!

#82 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 03:26 PM

I recycle, It's a good and big change since I grew up in Mexico and we don't recycle there. 

#83 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 04:16 PM

We definitely recycle and use green cleaning/beauty products more now than when I was a child. My parents were very crunchy (cloth-diapering, eating whole foods, home cooked meals, eating organic when we could find it, getting outdoors to play)! I think recycling is widely promoted and available nowadays. Also the availability of green cleaning and beauty products helps for our family to include them more readily than years ago when I was a child!

#84 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 04:28 PM

So many "green" changes!  We recycle (started in childhood, but not until I was a teen), buy in bulk or returnable containers, use cloth grocery bags & napkins (also cloth diapered when anyone was wearing, but both DS & I were cloth diapered ourselves, so that was just normal!), Mama cloth, at least partially family cloth, backyard chickens, belong to a CSA, make our own cleaning products/toiletries or choose safer alternatives to conventional via the Environmental Working Group guidelines, use a steam household cleaner, thrift store & Freecycle just about everything, bicycle commute & errands, solar chargers for our electronic gadgets. . .

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

#85 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 04:42 PM

And. . . shared :-)

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

#86 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 PM

I  focus on feeding my family organic, whole goods. I keep a garden and buy local as much as possible. I prefer alternative health care with a heavy focus on herbalism.  I also use cloth diapers.

#87 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 PM

we live off-grid, grow our own food, built our own home from recycled materials and the resources already on our land. we grown our own organic food, cloth diaper, home school, breastfeed, and live as simply as possible. Ecology is our life, basically. I'm a midwife, and I believe it is even a more ecological way to birth! My kids, 17, 4 and 2 (especially the younger 2!) would love some new books! It would be good for them to know that what comes naturally to us is something other people in other situations may have to strive for. I don't want my kids being elitist! I think books showing the efforts people make would be valuable. thanks!

#88 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 05:33 PM

I love Barefoot books.  We love their Dance Stories collection, as well as the book/cd sets in Spanish of Juan y los frijoles magicos and El fandango de Lola.

As for being green in ways different from my growing up:

- cloth diapers

- EC

- CSAs and local foods

- living in town so we can walk and bike everywhere

- freecycling

#89 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 06:21 PM

We recycle everything and less TV & video games. There is a whole world to explore and we read lots of books together joy.gif. I also buy non-processed foods, due to food allergies we are both on a GF/DF diet and try to buy more organic!

#90 of 150 Old 04-18-2013, 07:13 PM

I use cloth diapers

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page