Earth Day Giveaway: Enter to Win a Special Earth Inspired Collection from Barefoot Books!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-19-2013, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We try to buy local, use as much eco friendly products as we can and buy as much organic foods as we can afford. We now make our own laundry detergent and cleaning products, we reuse or re-purpose as much as we can. We avoid outside food (takeout & delivery) I try to share as much or my love for nature as I can by going for walks, playing out side, growing some plants & herbs (we rent so everything has to be in a pot) and reading to her about it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 03:07 PM

I give any suitable items/clothes no longer required to charity shops, I grow my own veggies in my back garden and I have a compost bin for peelings, grass cuttings etc.. These things were not thought about in my younger days.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:18 PM

We compost and make beautiful dirt for our garden. We also recently got chickens which add great fodder to the compost and will provide free range eggs for our family by fall.

Dear hubby surf.gif, dd1 (8) dust.gif ds1 (5)hbac.gif and dd2 (NB) hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg

Old 04-19-2013, 04:08 PM

One thing I try to with my "garbage" is to look at it differently. Instead of simply throwing out old or outgrown clothes in the trash, I donate them to families who need them. Clothes that are beyond repair or unacceptable to donate are turned into rags for cleaning at home.

Also, my family will try not to buy new craft/paper supplies at the craft store. We always seem to find something lieing around the house that can be made into a project. For instance, one fun thing we tried for an art project was to cut animals out from a magazine and paste them on the containers that meat comes packaged in. Then, placed pieces of string vertically on the containers. We made zoo animals from items found right inside our home. We reuse the paper that comes packaged in boxes from item we buy off the internet to draw on. Kids use the cardboard boxes to make things as well.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:12 PM

Shared on Facebook!

Old 04-19-2013, 04:37 PM

I love all the books in this post,  I find that they are so grounding,  unlike some more modern "sparkling" children's books that leave me with a sense of being manipulated,   thank you for this wonderful opportunity!

Old 04-19-2013, 05:18 PM

Old 04-19-2013, 05:41 PM

I've shared on FB :)

Old 04-19-2013, 05:43 PM

Since I have become a mother, I have been more aware about what kinds of household cleaners I use around my daughter. I have switched to using homemade natural cleaners so that they are safe, not only for our daughter, but my whole family as well. Saving money AND helping the Earth feels great!

Old 04-19-2013, 07:18 PM

The eating habits of my own family are very different than what I grew up with.  While I had a lot of home cooked meals, they were definitely not the best quality ingredients.  The cheaper the better it seemed!  Now we have loads of healthy food from local sources when possible, which a focus on vegetables and fruit.  Yum!

Old 04-19-2013, 07:50 PM

We plant giant Sunflower houses every year and interplant with popcorn.  We watch birds feed on the seeds, save seeds from the biggest sunflower (for next year), feed some seeds to our chickens, use seeds for pinecone birds feeders.  When When autumn comes we harvest the popcorn and scrape off the kernels and place the withered sunflowers on a bonfire.

Thanks for the opportunity to win a Barefoot book (they are one of our favourite publishers.)

Ali (NZ)

Old 04-19-2013, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thank you for this giveaway! We love Barefoot Books. My parents did a lot of "green" things before it was cool so I have big footsteps to follow. I DO feed my family more natural foods/unprocessed foods than we had growing up.

Jessica: wife to my farmer and homeschooling mama to three girls and two boys

Old 04-19-2013, 09:10 PM

We use organic and raw food products in my household not only for meals but for cleaning, beauty products and healthcare, too. Coconut Oil and Raw Honey are staples in my home. It seems that each day we get more and more "hippy" like. ;) Thank you for this opportunity! I shared the giveaway on FB as well. Barefoot Books rock and of course, so does Mothering Magazine!!! <3

Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 PM

i use cloth "mama pads". 

Old 04-19-2013, 09:13 PM

Old 04-19-2013, 10:22 PM

we're off an off the grid solar family.  it has been great for our kids to see and understand the difference between being plugged and unplugged into the larger world.  we have to conserve our batteries and live outdoors.  we read a lot too.  love barefoot books.  thanks for the opportunity.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:54 PM

We use cloth diapers and stopped using paper towels, napkins, tissues, etc. We also use reusable containers for leftovers and take out food. 

Old 04-21-2013, 05:35 AM

hmm thats hard, my mom raised us in a green lifestyle.  One thing I do that I dont remember her doing, is using cloth rags instead of paper towels

SAHM to Codi 1/12/08, James 11/3/10 and Connor 4/10/13 with our own personal Superhero DH/daddy

Old 04-21-2013, 11:25 AM

i went to the site and the barefoot book of blessings looks lovely. 

as for loving mother nature we planted nine trees yesterday. i never did this as a child. we planted a wonderful garden, have chickens, and read lots of books together. 

Old 04-21-2013, 11:26 AM

i have shared this with friends. 

Old 04-22-2013, 10:18 AM

I also wanted to share that I try to use reusable bags instead of plastic bags when going shopping.  I did like and share :)  Thank you again!  Love Barefoot Books and a new fan of Mothering :)

Old 04-22-2013, 11:59 AM

We don't just use cloth diapers which my mother did but we also use cloth wipes for the diapers, family cloth, and cloth pads for bleeding.  We work hard to be responsible for the waste that we create and we're moving toward a zero waste household.

homesteading, homeschooling,homebirthing wife to an amazing Catholic man, and mother to our two little girls :01/09 and 07/11
Old 04-23-2013, 01:34 AM

We recycle and I breastfeed!

Old 04-23-2013, 01:49 AM

We eat organic.  I love the Barefoot books. We got one in our Citrus Lane box a few months ago. 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Old 04-23-2013, 02:15 PM

We have very little plastic in our home, and I seem to recall just about all of our toys, dishes, etc were plastic growing up. I am still nostalgic for that classic Tupperware smell, but no way would I let my kids drink from one :)

Old 04-23-2013, 09:09 PM

hello! I do things way differently than they were done in my house when I was kid. In my house we recycle, we don't use re-usable plates, and we have started our own vegetable/fruit/herb garden this year.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

This giveaway has ended. Thanks to everyone who took part and to Barefoot Books for the great prizes!

The randomly chosen winners are NurseMomX4, Jennie00409 and mistymoral. Congrats!! You have been contacted by PM through your Mothering account. 

If you didn't win you can still grab up some awesome items from Barefoot Books with a 20% off coupon until the end of May!! Use code "Mothering" at checkout. 

Old 04-24-2013, 12:43 PM

Congratulations!!!!

Old 04-25-2013, 04:09 AM

I am SO excited! This is the first thing I've ever won, and my son is going to love these so much!   Thank you!!!!!!

Old 04-25-2013, 01:15 PM

Awesome!   Cant wait to read them!

SAHM to DS (16), DD (13), DD (3) & a bun in the oven due 10/11/13 

chicken3.gif

Tags
Mindful Home
User Tag List