Mothering Forum banner

Earth Day Giveaway: Enter to Win a Special Earth Inspired Collection from Barefoot Books!!

5K views 149 replies 111 participants last post by  NurseMomX4 
#1 ·
This giveaway has ended. Thanks to everyone who took part and to Barefoot Books for the great prizes!

The randomly chosen winners are NurseMomX4, Jennie00409 and mistymoral. Congrats!! You have been contacted by PM through your Mothering account.

If you didn't win you can still grab up some awesome items from Barefoot Books with a 20% off coupon until the end of May!! Use code "Mothering" at checkout.

---

Earth Day is April 22nd and we're giving away some awesome earth inspired collections from Barefoot Books to celebrate!

Special Offer:

Barefoot Books has a huge collection of books and other educational items to help you enjoy learning about our beautiful planet with your little ones--as well as many other wonderful selections. You can browse their huge award winning collection in their shop. Plus, until the end of May, Barefoot Books is offering Mothering members 20% off anything in their shop! Use code "mothering" at checkout!

The Prize:

Three individual winners will be randomly chosen from the entries in this giveaway to win all three of these wonderful selections from Barefoot Books!

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

My Mama Earth

Watch the wonder experienced by a small child journeying through the world and round the day taking in the many magnificent aspects of nature. This imaginative and lyrical picture book showcases the love between a mother and child, celebrating the ever-changing beauty of the natural world along the way.

Kids' Garden Card Deck

Get outside and grow with some child-friendly fun with gardening! Kids' Garden includes forty activities and games and an eight-page booklet that contains information on gardening tools, year-round plant care and garden safety. These step-by-step instructions are enhanced by colorful collage artwork and create a fun and easy way for budding green-thumbs to plant, investigate, learn and experiment.

The Barefoot Book of Earth Tales

Learn how different cultures around the world set out to live in harmony with the natural world in this popular anthology, now in paperback. The seven folk tales are each followed by a hands-on activity that promotes green living and reinforces the eco-messages of the stories. Gold Nautilus Book Award Winner.

To Enter:

"Like" Barefoot Books and Mothering on Facebook and then respond to this thread by telling us about a green change you've made in your life that is different than what you experienced as a child. For instance, maybe you recycle, eat more whole foods, use cloth diapers, or take your kids on more nature walks. Whatever it is, we want to hear about it!

For a Second Entry:

Share this giveaway with friends and leave a second response letting us know that you did!

Important Note:

If you do not use Facebook and cannot complete the "like" requirement for entry you can visit the Barefoot Books site instead and tell us which of their books appeals to you the most. Mention it along with your green living response. To enter you will need to be a member of Mothering so that we can contact you if you win. If you are not you can sign up for free here, login, and then come back to this thread to enter.

Rules:

Three winners will be randomly drawn from all responses. Giveaway ends Tues, April 23 and the winners will be announced and contacted on April 24th. By entering this giveaway you agree that you have read and understand the contest rules.

See less See more
#107 ·
*Cloth diapers -- my mom did, so did I. I even used my OWN diapers that she kept (mostly unsed extra ones) for 30years.

*Gardening -- grow veggies, composting, introduce native plants rather than cultivated&exotic ones, rainbarrel (latter two haven't been realized, but my hope to do soon)

*Recycling -- not just paper, plastic, glass, but also swapping clothes, books, toys, furniture

*Less energy -- turn off unnecessary lights, main switches, bike or walk to school/work, less use of A/C

*Eat whole -- organic, local, vegetable centered, .homemade rather than prepared

*More nature -- limit TV/video time, have kids play outside, read books (not kindle), go camping (not in RV), breastfeed, homebirth, no chemical cleaning agent/medicine

---and you have less clutter in your house

Love the Earth!!

#108 ·
Wow, so many 'green' changes now...please may I list more than one? (Makes me happy.) We use cloth pieces from old flannel shirts for "pee wipes" in our house. I'm homeschooling our daughters with deep nature connection at the heart of it all. I fix things instead of disposing of them, and I strictly avoid buying new things at all unless truly needed (which is rare!). We use a food club to buy in bulk as much as possible and connect with our community. We grow increasing quantities of our own food. We deliberately spread dandelions---and love them, eat them, give them a spot at the dinner table in a vase---rather than fearing or disliking them. On and on it goes, and everyone around us seems to be making so many positive changes as well.

#110 ·
We recycle, have a compost bin, use reusable lunch bags and generally use less disposable products than we did growing up. My kids are outside enjoying and exploring nature everyday and instinctually pick up litter whenever they see it now. It makes me happy to see them care for the earth!

#112 ·
It would be hard to go much greener than my mom when I was little - we lived off the grid on a ranch, wore cloth diapers & homemade clothing, gardened & composted, ate a vegetarian macrobiotic organic diet, and when we moved to a city we still gardened and biked everywhere for a while with us kids in the bike trailer... I'm doing much of that, finally starting a garden on my balcony, plus using public transportation and biking a lot more than I could in the US, since I now live in Europe, which probably reduces our footprints. My daughter has been riding the bike with me since 10 months and loves it, bike was one of her first words.

We have the Barefoot book "Bear on a Bike" which is a big favorite, and I'm sure "We go traveling by" would be a hit too with the motion / transport theme, or any of the others with their beautiful and detailed illustrations that draw childen in.

#113 ·
I eat dramatically differently than I did as a child, more organic and more whole foods based, and I grow a good portion of my own food.
I liked you both (already liked Mothering) and shared the contest. I might add, my son and I checked out The Barefoot Book of Earth Tales from the library a while back and loved it!

#114 ·
When I was a kid, they didn't have recycling pick up, but we did have a recycling center in town. My mom used to take my brother and I to the center once a week, and we loved separating everything and tossing it into the different bins. It was like a game. To this day, I still recycle EVERYTHING that I possibly can. I try to use cloth towels instead of disposables as much as possible when I am cleaning. Now that I am expecting, I have registered for cloth diapers, and am hoping that I will be successful in using them!

#116 ·
LIKED AND SHARED !!!!!

Growing up we dabbled in more "natural" foods, but now that I am a mom I am serious about giving my son organic, good quality foods. I breastfed until my son self-weaned, and till now he is eating a vegetarian, organic, low wheat, low dairy diet. We try to make the most out of our small garden by plantic simple foods (like lettuce and berries) in containers. If I had the space I'd love to compost, and I'll definitely start that once we move. We ride our bikes to anything that is local. We recycle and I try to stay mindful of my choices when shopping. We also make a point of standing outside barefoot on the earth to connect with the earth. When my 3 year old gets worked up he goes to the door and says "Mommy, I'll be outside doing some grounding". I always smile at my wonderful boy, and I know these books would be a blessing to him. I feel they could help him understand the importance of our choices, and because him and I are doing all this on a very tight budget I cannot buy him as many books as I'd like him to have.

#121 ·
We try to buy local, use as much eco friendly products as we can and buy as much organic foods as we can afford. We now make our own laundry detergent and cleaning products, we reuse or re-purpose as much as we can. We avoid outside food (takeout & delivery) I try to share as much or my love for nature as I can by going for walks, playing out side, growing some plants & herbs (we rent so everything has to be in a pot) and reading to her about it.

#124 ·
One thing I try to with my "garbage" is to look at it differently. Instead of simply throwing out old or outgrown clothes in the trash, I donate them to families who need them. Clothes that are beyond repair or unacceptable to donate are turned into rags for cleaning at home.

Also, my family will try not to buy new craft/paper supplies at the craft store. We always seem to find something lieing around the house that can be made into a project. For instance, one fun thing we tried for an art project was to cut animals out from a magazine and paste them on the containers that meat comes packaged in. Then, placed pieces of string vertically on the containers. We made zoo animals from items found right inside our home. We reuse the paper that comes packaged in boxes from item we buy off the internet to draw on. Kids use the cardboard boxes to make things as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.