100% disposable lunch for a field trip - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-22-2013, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have any disposable packaging in my house (no plastic sandwich bags, Saran wrap, etc.).  My son takes his lunch every day in a bento-style lunch box and KK water bottle. 

Any suggestions?  I really don't want to buy a whole box of sandwich baggies.  I guess I can buy a bottle of water - but that kind of disgusts me, too. 

I do have a small brown, paper bag to put stuff in!  My pack-rat tendencies have finally paid off!!  I can't wait to point this out to my husband.

#2 of 9 Old 04-22-2013, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

What will the lunch contain? 

If it's a sandwich, you can wrap it in parchment paper (baking paper) and hope it doesn't get crushed. When I was a kid, everyone brought wax-paper wrapped sandwiches for lunch instead of using containers and we all managed. Try to avoid soggy fillings and condiments in the sandwich. No tomato, lol. 

You can probably origami a couple of wraps from parchment paper for snacks like raisins or treats like muffins or bars or cookies. 

If you don't have parchment paper, then maybe tinfoil. If you don't have either, then I guess you cook and bake very differently than I do, lol. Maybe a neighbour could help you out by giving you a foot or so. 

Fruit like apples or bananas won't need any kind of wrapping. 

Bottled or tetra-pak beverages. 

swede likes this.
#3 of 9 Old 04-25-2013, 03:47 AM

2 suggestions:

1) Sandwich - wrapped in a piece of paper

Apple and/or orange

cookies or other treat

2) Cornish pasty  or Calzone or Pierogi

Apple and/or orange

cookies or other treat

Place in paper bag

#4 of 9 Old 04-26-2013, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How rushed for time are you?
With enough time you could probably used stuff you normally recycle. Atleast you would have used it before tossing vs buying just for this trip then tossing.

You can probably ask around for a grocery sack.
Sandwich in parchment paper, fruit and buy a bottle of water.

If you are still unable to work it out, maybe buy a pre made snack box. Many include a juice drink.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#5 of 9 Old 04-26-2013, 07:14 AM

I'd send juice in a tetra pack, wrap a sandwich in some paper, pack an apple, banana, maybe a granola bar in a disposable bag. 

You could reverse-engineer the project and search your pantry/fridge for any packaging you already have, like a jar, bottle or cardboard box, move out whatever is in there now, store that in something non-disposable and use its container to fill with something else that fits :)

#6 of 9 Old 04-26-2013, 07:36 AM

Are they not allowed to carry a water bottle on the rest of the field trip? If it's not a big deal, you can figure everything else out and send him with his regular water bottle.

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#7 of 9 Old 05-03-2013, 12:55 PM

We'd always re-use other food packaging for field trip lunches growing up - like cut a bread bag shorter to wrap something, or re-use some kind of other food packaging that's empty or almost gone (just transfer to some reusable container at home).

#8 of 9 Old 05-21-2013, 05:11 PM

Check that it really needs to be fully disposable. I've had my kids go on field trips where that was requested but then they still had a bin for lunches and the bin just got put back on the bus with the uneaten parts of lunch. Drives me batty because my kids are rule followers (at school anyway eyesroll.gif) and won't take their regular stuff on field trips.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#9 of 9 Old 06-05-2013, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post

We'd always re-use other food packaging for field trip lunches growing up - like cut a bread bag shorter to wrap something, or re-use some kind of other food packaging that's empty or almost gone (just transfer to some reusable container at home).

This is what I do. When I buy crackers and similar - just cut down the bag & send the last bit. I put sandwiches in the cut-down bread bags. I wrap cookies and such in foil. If they need a disposable drink, I buy something in a glass bottle. If they can bring back the bottle, it can be reused or recycled. If not, a lot of places like museums have recycling now. Otherwise using paper is a good idea. DH sometimes wraps sandwiches in newspaper - don't know about the ink, though!

winky.gif

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page